Whatcha Reading? (Picking it up again)

I actually haven’t started reading it yet, but went to see a talk by this author at Yale about his book… They spent a lot of time taking about music for some reason…

Paul Muldoon was there, as well but everyone seemed more interested in the other guy (who I think was also named Paul)

2 Likes

fred armisen lol GIF by IFC

Is that Sir Paul?

1 Like

It is indeed.

2 Likes

Nice! How cool!

2 Likes

12 Likes

I’ve been really interested in the discussions that pop up whenever it’s announced old books are being revised. I’m curious how changes to Ursula K. LeGuin’s childrens books will be received, especially with her daughter’s approaching it so thoughtfully.

I read the Catwings series with my daughters a couple of years back. I thought had uncovered a secret treasure, but apparently they’re not hidden gems in LeGuin’s bibliography and have continually been in print since release. But I wonder if they will become another part in the overall discussion or just slide by because, despite LeGuin’s brilliance, the work hasn’t achieved the same level of mainstream success as that of Dahl, Fleming, and Stine.

4 Likes

Love this:

But she left me a clue: a note over her desk asking, “Is it true? Is it necessary or at least useful? Is it compassionate or at least unharmful?”

Words to live by.

5 Likes

Credited to many over the years, including Rumi:

Before you speak, let your words pass through three gates: At the first gate, ask yourself “Is is true?” At the second gate ask, “Is it necessary?” At the third gate ask, “Is it kind?”

2 Likes

Or - will be reading.

3 Likes

I’m currently reading The Plot against American by Phillip Roth… holy shit, it’s bleak.

1 Like

I’m reading Far Sector by N.K. Jemisin. It’s my first book by the author, and I think being brought into her writing by way of Green Lanterns was not a bad move. I love what I’m seeing.

3 Likes

I quite enjoyed both her Broken Earth trilogy and the Dreamblood duology… the second is really good if you’re interested in fantasy derived from African culture.

I have not started the second book in her Great Cities series, but I quite enjoyed the first! Quite a love letter to NYC!

I have not read Far Sector, so I’ll have to check that out sometime!

3 Likes

Her “Language of the Night” is a great book on her thoughts on writing, including writing fantasy and writing for kids.

3 Likes

Oh! I’ll have to check that out, too!

3 Likes

Just read this, and I agree! Great, often funny writing, good characters and story. Great read! And good to think of Emmett Till returning for vengeance.

I’ve read several others by him, Erasure being my favorite.

2 Likes

I have heard of Erasure. Will have to look it up. Ta.

2 Likes

Little House of Propaganda: Homesteading Myths and the Sentimentality of Self-Reliance

Alissa Quart on the Bootstrap Narratives of Laura Ingalls Wilder

7 Likes

Great article. Thanks for posting.

2 Likes

PS-- I came across this today, the best review I’ve read of The Trees, complete with a good overview of Percival Everett’s career and preoccupations:

No paywall:

https://archive.ph/zE2Nb

2 Likes

Sweet. Thanks for the link.

2 Likes