Whatcha Reading? (Picking it up again)

The Midnight Library was awesome. Normally stories like that, eh, I dunno, stories with a “point” I don’t like so much, but this one is just so well done. Maybe it was a message I needed.

Next:

2020 took David Graeber, and I’d never heard of him until then (I live under a rock). Really enjoying Debt: The First 5000 Years

6 Likes

I just loved this (The Necessary Beggar) to bits, as Jo Walton says - This is a book that could go terribly wrong. Palwick walks a tightrope here, avoiding sentimentality, cliche and appropriation but still winning through to a positive resolution - and i’d go along with that, it’s so deftly handled with the skill only the best writers can manage. It’s been a while since i read a book where i didn’t want to finish it and leave the characters i’d come to be very fond of but this was one of them.

3 Likes

Carl Hiaasen still makes me laugh out loud with his stories about Florida. The latest, Squeeze Me involves giant pythons, the Orange Twatwaffle, a missing billionairess, and the usual round up of Florida Criminals.

Thanks, adding that to the list

1 Like

The Vorrh (by Brian Catling): An epic surrealistic historical fantasy with a slight touch here and there of cyber-punk; a bow and arrows made from a lover’s remains; and a Cyclops (with that cementing Catling’s seeming obsession with such creatures).