What's inside the windowless AT&T/NSA spying hub in lower Manhattan?

Well, I certainly think the Seagram created some lovely ideas, lobbies with glowing walls, clear plaza space out front, approachable glass curtain walls, unified lighting on every office level, I wouldn’t put it in the same league as the Chrysler or something.

So, I get where they’re coming from, but, ah, no. They are wrong.

4 Likes

That’s easy. I’m a sucker for neo-Gothic, so I’d say any Cass Gilbert-designed skyscraper:

(bonus: that NY Life Building was originally taken by me from the Empire State Building observatory)

12 Likes

Good to know. I just like to know what kind of person I’m dealing with when it comes to this sort of thing. You never know if you’re going to get a Gothic weirdo or some kind of Brutalist.

7 Likes

I don’t discriminate. I can appreciate most styles of architecture (aside from “modern boring glass tower with zero personality”).

5 Likes

I’m Googie all the way.

3 Likes

Oh, I do. Someone who’s fine with the current version of Penn Station is someone that needs help.

4 Likes

What’s inside the windowless AT&T/NSA spying hub in lower Manhattan?

Hot Pockets. lots and lots of Hot Pockets.

12 Likes

Here’s the windowless Verizon monstrosity on otherwise charming Charles St. in Baltimore. https://goo.gl/maps/7t7Hcuk8Wr72

4 Likes

TITANPOINTE

Aptly named, me thinks.

2 Likes

Won’t somebody think of the

It also appears to be one of the most important National Security Agency surveillance sites on U.S. soil — a covert monitoring hub that is used to tap into phone calls, faxes, and internet data.

faxes!

5 Likes

Creepy? It looks like the Standard Oil Building’s* shorter, fatter cousin.

* Yes, that’s the Standard Oil building, down a few streets from the Marshall Field’s and Carson Pirie Scott stores, across town from the Sears tower, and 35-and-one-half blocks north of Comiskey Park. Suck it, newnamers.

5 Likes

I got the shivers looking at interior pictures.

I couldn’t find a picture of the elevators though - are they manually operated or modernized?

12 Likes

It is beautiful!

But are we sure it isn’t a grain silo?

Looks like a grain silo.

7 Likes

#WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO HIDE

7 Likes

I can only assume they have been modernized (but I’ve never been inside that building). Pretty much nowhere in NY has manual elevators anymore – let alone a busy corporate headquarters.

That said, buildings of that era have the best lobbies.

Here’s part (!) of the Woolworth Building’s lobby:

So spectacular.

Completely over the top (not to mention how unsustainable it would be to build something like this these days) but oh man is it ever something to behold.

9 Likes

Never!

It’s either 70 Pine Street

Or 570 Lexington

1 Like

and then some…

1 Like

I’ve been secretly wondering if the english channel tunnel has a special archaeological area

1 Like

Please do!

8 Likes

I think I love you!!!

3 Likes