What's the most beautiful movie ever made?

Flesh for Frankenstein-Paul Morrissey,as if there could be any question.

1 Like

No one remembers Black Orpheus anymore, but it remains one of the great visual feasts on film. Beautiful also for the soundtrack and sound design.

And leaving out Greenaway pretty much renders the whole list null and void.

Russian Ark is a parlor trick, and not especially exciting visually. Pfft.

3 Likes

Christ I almost forgot “The Cook the Thief his Wife and Her Lover”

1 Like

PIXELS 4EVA!

2 Likes

I’m with you. The scene where Ashitaka rides away from his village and the night-walker scene both give me goosebumps every time. There used to be a Japanese documentary series on the making of Princess Mononoke (that someone had subbed in English and posted on YouTube; I sadly can’t find it anymore) and it remains one of the most inspiring things I have ever seen. The amount of passion, work and skill involved at all levels was amazing.

1 Like

No, seriously, why does the bear need that forward roll? Who who’s shooting at it? Stormtroopers?

1 Like
4 Likes

Kind of depressing to see that fllm in 240p.

2 Likes

I can’t answer with one, I just have to answer with three, at the least. There’s tons more that I want to name too.

Let the Right One In (LÄt den rÀtte komma in)

I spent my first years in a Swedish, boring suburb with that distinctive architecture so seeing it portrayed so beautifully and surrealistically is just wonderful. The children are also acting like true children of that age. I went into the theater expecting pretentious crap, came out with a new favorite movie.

Citizen Kane

A favorite movie of mine too, and it’s visual style is still influencing 70 odd years later. Orson Welles was in total control of everything in front of the camera as actor and director making it one of the most honest movies to become a legend. Every scene gives me chills!

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind

George Clooney’s directorial debut is still my favorite among his films. It’s so personal, so epic, so sinfully funny and yet so gripping that I’m never quite sure what I watched. Everything is portrayed so effectfully, from the glamorous, American 60s and 70s to the not so glamorous cold war East Europe. Every time I watch it, I see details upon details and I just don’t get why this was never a hit.

7 Likes

It’s actually from a Reddit community who make invented Michael Bay Gifs.

Take a video of anything at all (e.g. a panda doing a funny forward roll and tipping over its table) add lots of explosions, voilĂ , Michael Bay.

6 Likes

This is awesome.

2 Likes

It’s a good list. A very good list. Some movies I might have tried to squeeze into that list (even if I can’t say where they would fit in), but off of the top of my head (with a lot of help from my partner):

Big Fish
Do the Right Thing
Pan’s Labyrinth

I knew someone would bring up koyaanisqatsi. No biscuit for you. It is to beautiful films as the matrix is to sci Fi.

Harrumph!!

4 Likes

Omg, even though it has been lauded into the ground
 Is it not magnificent? The scene where he smashes the room in impotent rage still gives me chills.

In the past ten years:

Grand Budapest Hotel
Easy. It was brilliant, and though Wes hired the best of the best, they all still pulled off Oscar worthy scenes over and over.

Tilda, marry me, my wife wont mind!!

5 Likes

Baraka and Ran are both so beautiful like some of you said. There’s a movie from Eastern Europe called Time of the Gypsies, often overlooked. How about Space Odyssey? Tarkovsky’s are beautiful too

2 Likes

Okay, most copies are vhs crap, but Rivers and Tides.

4 Likes

Absolutely! It escaped me

1 Like

What’s that? Popular leaders in the genre? Sounds fair.
One scene that really blew me away as a kid was the final reckoning snow-scene in Charles Bronson’s ‘White Buffalo’. It was over 15 years before I managed to see it again. It stood up to time well I think.

Same.

I also get chills when Ashitaka catches his first glimpse of the spirit of the forest. The sound design is quite literally perfect in that moment.

Pan’s Labyrinth

This movie was tremendously affecting. What was most important to me about this movie was that it achieved something that I had consciously sought for years: a relation between history and political struggle, on the one hand, and fantasy and the inner imaginative world, on the other, each fully realized.

It also often comes to mind for one scene in particular, which evoked a complex of emotions in a way that I’ve seen other films attempt but none achieve: a thoroughly sympathetic person uses violence in self-defense against a vile person, with every justification in the world; yet the violent act is still horrible to see.

10 Likes