BBC picks greatest films of the 21st century

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/23/bbc-picks-greatest-films-of-th.html

1 Like

Talk about pessimism! All 100 have already been made? What’s left? 84 years of Ow My Balls?

29 Likes

Saw 3, 4, 10, and I have 6 somewhere, I think.

3 and 10 I liked, but not sure if I would put them in the top 10. Still, they are good examples of non-typical films.

4 is one of my favorite films ever.

2 Likes

So why is the photo from one of the worst movies ever made? Sorry, but Fury Road was just plain stupid - people may have liked the attempt at making some sort of feminist statement, but that couldn’t overcome the sheer idiocy of the rest. It was downright painful to watch.

2 Likes

Yeesh. No comedies in the Top 20. Bleh; it’s way harder to make people laugh than cry, critics. Also, Fantastic Mr. Fox instead of Grand Budapest, and The Incredibles instead of Finding Nemo, then move it into the Top 10.

1 Like

Makes me happy to see the Coen brothers top the list. And the book is well worth a read too. For me, Cormac McCarthay is the best example of American as a language in its own right. Fantastic prose.

Edit: Oops, I see your numbering for the top ten is backwards :blush:

3 Likes

I loved Mulholland Drive but holy hell was it confusing! After three tries I read the spoilers.

1 Like

Obviously, rating and ranking film is subjective rather than objective, and everybody has an opinion, but on the other hand, and I think we can all agree on this, your opinion is wrong.

38 Likes

Strictly speaking, is the year 2000 in the 21st century? Might have to swap in something else for #2 and #8.

8 Likes

21 Likes

I didn’t do that - I copy pasted and then discuss like did the rest. Also I didn’t mean to leave it up and deleted it.

1 Like

26 Likes

No Princess Kaguya? That movie scored 100% on Rotten Tomatoes, and after I first saw it, I rang gently like a gong for about a week.

1 Like

I’d argue that Mulholland Road may be the most interesting film of the 21st century so far, but I wouldn’t rate it better than many here. Same with There Will Be Blood. I’d rate Eternal Sunshine higher than either of those.

3 Likes

They put Aronofsky on there with the wrong one. The Fountain all day, baby.

5 Likes

This is a very good list and I agree with most of their choices in the top 100 (though The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford should be much higher). That said, the omission of Memories of Murder is quite shocking…

1 Like

IMHO, one of these things is not like the others, and I think Moulin Rouge flat-out doesn’t belong.

Two films I think deserved to be listed are Bamahn Gobadi’s - No One Knows About Persian Cats, and Clio Barnard’s - The Selfish Giant.

1 Like

Not on the list of top 100:
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance (Park Chan-Wook, 2002)
Martyrs (Pascal Laugier, 2008)
Noriko’s Dinner Table (Shion Sono, 2005)
and Hatchet… (kidding)

…anybody?

2 Likes

Because this post is about the BBC panel’s picks, not your picks.

18 Likes

Well now I just look silly.

Pretend I wasn’t here.

11 Likes