The most pretentious movie you like is

[Permalink]

1 Like

Man, i hit 100% mass market on my first try with speed racer. It’s so good though… I just watched it again yesterday.

2 Likes

Well, who knew a popcorn flic like Zombieland could be pretentious?

2 Likes

Koyaanisqatsi is “45% Mass Market”?

Man, I need to up my game.

7 Likes

Serves you right for not being a Kubrick fan. Each film I entered (that the thing could find) came back 100% pretentious.

9 Likes

For the fun of it, I checked Un Chien Andalou (n.b. I hate it with a passion, and I’ve watched it a number of times over many decades so I’m quite certain about that) and got 97% pretentious…which makes me think that film critics make up 3% of the general public.

1 Like

I think the problem there is that many people who would hate it never actually get to see it. In comparison stuff like the Kubrick films is hard to miss.

Singin’ in the Rain is 93% Pretentious?!?

8 Likes

Okay, look, this is effin’ ridiculous:

see for yourself

6 Likes

That’s a good point!

Hah! I was going to check that one, but then figured there was no point, because of course everyone likes it.

I’ve noticed that no matter what the percentage, the line underneath always concludes with “in general people like it”.

There’s a reason they’re called the unwashed masses…

2 Likes

Tarkovsky is sooo mass-market. Complete sell-out.

8 Likes

Nope!

3 Likes

Hrmm… 54% mass market for Moon?

4 Likes

She shoots, she scores!

5 Likes

2001: A Space Odyssey is 100% pretentious! Which suggests that their rating system must be something more weird and complicated (or buggy) than just “subtracting viewer ratings from critic ratings” since IMDB has a critic rating of 86% but a higher public rating of 92%, while on Rotten Tomatoes the critics at 83% only slightly edge out the public at 76%.

(also, I don’t understand where you people are getting these nice little graphics to post in the thread, the link on the page doesn’t seem to display anything like that)

2 Likes

Wait, what the heck does that even mean?

“This one’s (n.b. couldn’t let it stand) made for the commoner…In general people don’t like”

I can’t even.

1 Like

7 Likes

You can cut and paste a screenshot directly into the BBS now (or maybe you’ve been able to for a while, I just discovered that functionality today)

1 Like