Citizen Kane loses 100% "Fresh" rating after 80-year-old negative review added to Rotten Tomatoes

Originally published at: Citizen Kane loses 100% "Fresh" rating after 80-year-old negative review added to Rotten Tomatoes | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Spoilers!

30 Likes

Pobody’s nerfect.

10 Likes

Before the 2nd of March according to wikipedia.

3 Likes

Except Godzilla. And Destroyah.

12 Likes

They figuratively dug it up. The review would have had to have been buried under the ground to literally have been dug up.

Also, a coincidence is not ironic.

Fight me.

8 Likes

Sneaky bastard…

4 Likes

Must admit I have never made it through the entire movie. I understand that some people consider Citizen Kane a flawless classic but I found it boring and too intentionally artistic.

4 Likes

Spoiler: While the 1984 Film “Terminator” is visually and thematically interesting, the film is based around a drawn-out conceit that ends in a lackluster reveal that “John Connor” is actually a sled.

16 Likes

When people dog on popular classics I’m always reminded of this:

24 Likes

Rotten Tomatoes should have a feature to show only contemporary (time of movie’s release) reviews, it’s a lot more interesting to read those for older movies.

5 Likes

Dang it, that is hard. I was going to go with The Last Jedi since everyone loves to hate on it, but the RT score is 90%, certified fresh! (Not counting the audience score of 42%)

The Life Aquatic is closer, but still just north of 50%.

ETA: found one! The original xXx movie starring Vin Diesel has a score of 48%, and I actually enjoyed it just fine as a non-serious action movie. Although the audience score was higher than the critics so I don’t know if my opinion is truly “unpopular.”

4 Likes

I’ve got one, Pinocchio, the 2002 version from Roberto Benigni, which scores 0%. To be fair, it should be pointed out that the RT reviewers seem to all be reviewing the Miramax release, which was poorly edited and terribly dubbed into English. I agree, that is a bad film, but I think the original Italian version is great.

5 Likes

I think a lot of people would be surprised by how many reviewers recognized the problematic aspects of films like Song of the South even when they were new.

10 Likes

Jupiter Ascending - 27% on Rotten Tomatoes

The Warchowskis continue in their endless quest to make live-action anime, and this is their ‘Magical Girl’ story. The movie is a tonal mess, flipping from weird absurdist comedy (with a Brazil homage WITH A TERRY GILLIAM CAMEO!) to sweeping epic drama plus whatever the hell Eddie Redmayne is doing… But the art direction and design is simply out of this world. And if you look at it like anime, the weird tone and scattered, episodic plot and even the ridiculous mythology and Redmayne’s weird bisohonen boi performance all make sense.

Plus, this is an example of filmmakers just cashing in all their clout and doing EXACTLY what they want, and fuck anyone else. And that’s just glorious to watch, even if the results are… mixed.

11 Likes

I was having trouble coming up with mine (I liked Cloud Atlas, but it’s 66%!), and was about to pick Jupiter Ascending, for all the reasons you stated, but then I thought about other Wachowski films, and I think Speed Racer (41% RT score) is what I’m gonna go with. Again, live-action anime, even more directly than Jupiter Ascending, meaning lots of overacting, melodrama, and a less-than-coherent plot. But the visuals are unlike anything I’ve ever seen. On a big screen on BluRay, every frame is gorgeous. Just take a Dramamine before watching, and epileptics should probably skip it; some of those big action scenes spin and flash like crazy.

8 Likes

I genuinely like the 2004 Catwoman movie and I have no clue why. As for Citizen Kane, I first saw it in the 1970s when I was in High school and thought it was trying too hard to be clever and artistic. Not a fan.

1 Like

Yeah but still, figuratively they literally dug it up.

3 Likes

I only gave it 99% because the bird scared me.

(edit: “Scary bird citizen cane” was Wells’ original title for the movie, but the studio shot him down.)

7 Likes

The snow globe originally had this guy in it.

3 Likes