Here are the ten worst movies of all time, according to Rotten Tomatoes

Originally published at: Here are the ten worst movies of all time, according to Rotten Tomatoes | Boing Boing

6 Likes

I am really surprised that Battlefield Earth is not in the top 10…

29 Likes

that was the one i was going to mention too! just. so. terrible.

( eta: it makes #55 )

15 Likes

Damn, so many movies that got worst scores than Bloodrayne (94)!!! I’m not even sure it’s the worst Uwe Boll movie, either?

12 Likes

it inspired me to go read this about highlander 2 ( #25 )

And amazingly, it manages to not only be contender for worst film in the world, but it also runs the entire franchise into the ground and retcons the first film into oblivion in the space of 15 minutes. This is the film that had such bad continuity it’s arguably the world’s first reboot… This is a film that wishes it could be as good as Santa Claus Conquers The Martians.

that last part seems to prove true. it’s not even on the list.

11 Likes

There are obviously several forms of selection bias at play here because these are all movies that someone thought were good enough to actually see the light of day in wide release. So we will never know how they compared to, say, Jerry Lewis’ The Day the Clown Cried.

15 Likes

Funny that the next item on the front page is the Zelda live action…prescient?

9 Likes

Also, the editors point out, the reason why so many of the selections are from the last 20 years is because “more reviews are being written and collected than ever before, so today’s disasters have a better chance of vaunting over 20 reviews.”

They lost me right there. If we’re talking about all time worst movies, The Golden Turkeys need to be taken into account (I wish Medved had stuck to movie criticism).

9 Likes

I wonder if the non-trivial number of Scientologists in Hollywood had any impact on that ranking. Some critics might have either been kinder to the film than they otherwise would have or avoided reviewing it entirely just to stay out of the church’s crosshairs.

12 Likes

I know you mentioned it already, but it can’t be overstated!

But Highlander 2, fuck me…

3 Likes

The big question here is, how do we stop John Travolta?

6 Likes

Well, every $cientologist was tasked with promoting it as the bestest film ever released, and that kind of review-packing has its impact. This is the same cult that, whenever a book came out with their founder’s name on it, would demand its followers buy as many copies as they could afford, and turn them in to the cult, so they can send them out to the stores again, and again, and again. The local bookstore hated it, because they could tell they were getting books that had been sold a few times already - wear and tear, pricing stickers from other stores or even their own - and eventually the local cultists would run out of money and they’d be stuck with unmovable inventory until they could legally justify pulping them.

10 Likes

My question after reading the article @gatto posted is if Highlander 2 isn’t the worst movie in the Highlander series (as they claim at the end), which one is?!

6 Likes

Well, it’s the worst movie. Ever.

It stands to reason it’s the worst movie in the franchise.

5 Likes

Maybe, but then again Gotti is in the top 10… :thinking: Although I guess that’s not a scientology movie, just a Travolta film…

Also… what was that Bennifer movie? Gigli? That’s not on the list, I don’t think?

7 Likes

Agreed. How did Gigli avoid that list?

I assumed, I could look over the list and find one to say, hey, that’s not a bad movie. Nope. They are all awful.

8 Likes

On the subject of that movie, Michael Caine was quoted as saying; "I have never seen it but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."*

17 Likes

Or will we??

Per Wikipedia:

11 Likes

Yeah, Battlefield Earth is kind of unique in that respect. Imagine how far-right evangelical Christians would react if a critic gave a scathing one-star review to the first movie based on a screenplay written by Jesus Christ.

4 Likes

Think Stephen Colbert GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Well, they’d probably give it one-star cause it’d be too woke for them… And script-writer Jesus would be like…

Jesus Reaction GIF

14 Likes