Citizen Kane loses 100% "Fresh" rating after 80-year-old negative review added to Rotten Tomatoes

I guess it’s true. Everybody’s talking about it! Today at least.

7 Likes

Oddly enough, I think the 1999 movie RKO 281 dramatizing the making of Citizen Kane was more interesting than the movie itself.

1 Like

I’m an unapologetic Speed Racer fan, too. For pure visual overload, you really can’t do better. It’s like the end sequence to 2001 for 2 hours. It doesn’t HAVE to make sense, just LOOK AT IT!

Viewing in an, uh, enhanced state is HIGHLY (pun not intended, but I’m keeping it) recommended.

4 Likes

Timeline - 11% (audience 45%). It’s entirely unbelievable but I own it and enjoy it. “NIGHT ARROWS!” :laughing:

5 Likes

The first time I saw “Citizen Kane” I missed out on the part involving his childhood and the sled. So at the end I always though that “Rosebud” was just some random nonsense he uttered before he died.

6 Likes

I don’t have a problem with this. If anything, it makes it clearer what you’re getting from Rotten Tomatoes. Reviewers are smart in aggregate, but there are some turkeys in the mix.

And while this gives us some insight about Rotten Tomatoes, it does Citizen Kane no harm. It’s a funny story, but it doesn’t reveal a flaw that needs to be fixed. It’s just a funny story.

2 Likes

I love Constantine. It’s one of those movies that I’ll stop and watch anytime I come across it while flipping channels. It’s at 46%, although the audience seems to like it well enough.

10 Likes

Ha, this is easy, I love bad movies evidently. My favorite that meets all the criteria is “The Mummy Returns”. I’ve probably seen it 100 times (and The Mummy but that came out before 2000).

I’m a pretty huge supernatural horror fan and those movies are always below 50%. That’s how you know its a good movie!

5 Likes

Thanks for saving me the effort! The Chronicles of Riddick also qualifies for me with an asterisk because I only like the directors cut, which presumably the critical review is not based on.

I’m sure there are more 2000s action movies – probably mostly featuring Vin Diesel or Nicolas Cage that I enjoyed watching at the time but got terrible reviews. My guess is this challenge works because those movies are not particularly memorable. If I look back 15 years ago, I am going to remember the movies everyone was talking about not the ones that were an enjoyable hour and a half at the theater but not much more.

1 Like

My wife and I have older parents, so we’ve seen a lot of older films, but Citizen Kane was one that neither of us ever saw. It was a, “Well, if it’s on, and we have nothing better to do, let’s watch it,” kind of agreement.

Then we watched Steve Berg on “Drunk History”, talking about how Citizen Kane was the greatest movie ever made. Jack Black stars as Orson Welles, and John Lithgow as William Randolph Hearst. To hear Steve Berg tell the story, and see it acted out, was hilarious and really primed us to enjoy the film. Sure enough, a few months later, it was on AMC at like, 1:00 AM. We decided to stay up and watch. It was great!

My wife and I first saw M. Night Shyamalan’s Signs in a city theatre, at night, with an adult audience. It was harrowing. The audience was silent through the whole thing, you could feel the tension and paranoia creeping up on you. When it was over, everyone just left, kind of dazed. It was intense. Later, we took her mom to see it. In a smaller town, matinee showing, which unfortunately had a very young crowd who laughed and shouted at the screen. She didn’t see what we saw in the film, and to be honest, the audience reaction made it seem like watching an entirely different film.

All I can say is I’m glad that we experienced Citizen Kane how we did. It was nice.

8 Likes

SPOILERS!

[Complete sentence certified.]

Constantine is an excellent supernatural detective movie whose only REAL flaw is that it’s title, and main character’s name, is “Constantine”.

If they would have made it not John Constantine, it would have been a great medium budget movie with an absolutely RIVETING part for Tilda Swinton (SWOOOOON).

It’s just that Keanu is many things, but English and blonde are not any of them, and as seen in John Wick, even when he’s playing cynical, he’s earnest about it.

The movie’s even good enough that you forget Shia “The Beef” LaBeouf is in it.

There are a few DC animated films featuring Constantine that aren’t bad. Justice League Dark, Justice League Dark: Apokalips War, and Constantine: City of Demons, all on HBOMax. And there’s always the old live action TV series and the same actor who’s reprised the role on the CW Arrowverse.

4 Likes
7 Likes

In case you are wondering what happened to the comus queen who was also mentioned on the same page as the review, Veva Wood Obituary (2013) - Thomasville, GA - The Times-Picayune

2 Likes

Tron Legacy has 51%, so that almost counts.

3 Likes

It is a perfect film.

3 Likes

Ha, I do that too. Whenever I see an old newspaper or magazine page I always scan the page for the articles other than what it is we’re supposed to be looking at. History is as much in the background details as it is in the highlights.

6 Likes

I think we can all agree that the English language changes over time. But this has literally been used as “figuratively” since the age of Fitzgerald, Dickens, Joyce, and Thackery. How long does it take before accepting a usage? :slight_smile:

If this sense of literally is bothersome, you needn’t use it. If you dislike hearing other people use it, you may continue to be upset. If you would like to broaden your complaint slightly, and insist that the original meaning of literal is the only proper one, go right ahead (although, before committing to this, you should be aware that this will restrict you to using literal when you mean “of, relating to, or expressed in letters”).
Did we change the definition of 'literally'? | Merriam-Webster

7 Likes

You literally just convinced me to give up on caring about this issue.

9 Likes

“The Addams Family (2019)”. I enjoy the dumb word and sight gags in this cartoon remake. It’s not as macabre as prior Addams Family films, but the combination of silly/punny/gross does it for me. (45% Tomateer rating).

4 Likes