Citizen Kane loses 100% "Fresh" rating after 80-year-old negative review added to Rotten Tomatoes

I think it was the writings of Mark Twain that finally convinced me to let it go.

5 Likes

For me, my “below 50% on RT” movie would have to be Not Another Teen Movie. It was the last good spoof film before all the terrible Jason Friedberg/Aaron Seltzer-directed movies essentially killed the genre.

4 Likes

Surprisingly, the Chicago Tribune was not owned by William Randolph Hearst, which was my assumption.

6 Likes

Cane was an indictment of William Randolph Hearst’s stranglehold on the press at the time. If the paper the review was written in was one of Hearst’s papers, the review could be invalidated as a proper critique at all and removed so it could keep it’s 100% status.

6 Likes

“Simon Birch” was the first thing that occurred to me, but it came out in 1998 so doesn’t quite match the criteria (though that was definitely in my adult life). According to Rotten Tomatoes, many critics said, “Quote not available.”

3 Likes

OH THE HUGE MAETINEE!

7 Likes

Part 3 is especially hard if you state the it is rated below 50% on BOTH the tomatometer AND the audience scores. Even Cats (53% audience) doesn’t qualify.

A quick check on some of the movies mentioned have audience scores well above 50%.

For example most of the movies mentioned here fail on the audience scores:
xXx: 58%
Mummy Returns: 63%
Addams Family: 69%
Not another Teen Movie: 55%

Catwoman, Timeline and Jupiter Ascending all meet the criteria.

Wow! I’m totally impressed! To enjoy that movie unironically is a feat of mental ju jitsu that I can only admire.

TBH, I spent over an hour trying to find a movie choice of my own that met that criteria, and I couldn’t do it. That you could do it is a tribute to your moviemaking appreciation. IMO, virtually all movies made represent the sweat and hard work of many people, and liking a movie that most others didn’t is a worthy task

Now can someone can bring themselves to like United Passions without irony?

5 Likes

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen clears both the original and tighter criteria for me. Speed Racer clears the looser Tomatometer alone criteria.

4 Likes

Great example. I hadn’t thought of that one – big, silly, and thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks.

2 Likes

so what you’re saying is maybe 98% then?

1 Like

Addams Family (2019) is worth watching just for Uncle Fester (played by NIck Kroll!!) doing “I Haven’t Got a Hat”.

3 Likes

What I liked about Jupiter Ascending is the “Decadent Aristocrats in Spaace” vibe that, outside of Dune (which kind of invented it), is rarely seen. I’m not sure if the movie completely worked, but I liked that part of it. As for my pick, I’m not sure if this counts because it is 58% Tomatometer (but 35% audience), is 2018’s Hotel Artemis – it’s a great piece of retro cyberpunk with Jodie Foster gleefully chewing the scenery.

3 Likes

It’s weird how much Constantine almost seems like a dress rehearsal for John Wick. You have Keanu as part of a secret world (demon hunter vs. assassin) that exists hidden in plain sight in our world, and you have the neutral place (the bar in Constantine, the Continental Hotel in John Wick) where opposing sides are welcome so long as they don’t bring their fight inside.

3 Likes

Oddly enough, I kind of like the 2017 Tom Cruise “The Mummy” 16%/35% on RT and I have actually watched it multiple times (not in the cinema!) The flaws of the movie are multiple and well documented. I probably like it because of Sofia Boutella who kicks ass, as usual. This would have been a much better film with less Tom Cruise and more Mummy.

1 Like

I think that one of the big problems with Rotten Tomatoes is that it mostly is contemporary reviews, which means that the scores are snapshots of how movies were received at the time and lack the kind of nuance that you can only get in hindsight with the passage of time.

1 Like

I loved Cloud Atlas. That should have been on “Top Films of the Decade” listicles.

2 Likes

The Grauniad reading here:

1 Like

It was Hearst’s nickname for his mistress’s… particulars, so there’s that

While I love The Terminator, the problem with the time travel means I will never understand why anybody could say it is a perfect movie. It makes me crazy.

So Welles claimed, actually her clitoris specifically (according to David Thompson’s biography unless I misremember) but it’s pretty much his word only.

1 Like