NYC theater overrules MPAA rating for Snowden documentary

[Permalink]

5 Likes

Kudos to them, brave enough to stand up for what is right.

13 Likes

What does it take to warrant an R? A great deal of gratuitous and graphic violence, or perhaps a nipple?

6 Likes

Two fucks:

7 Likes

I don’t understand how the comics industry is so far ahead of these movie studio clowns. Comics worked under that fucking CCA for a few decades and then dumped it in the bin where it belongs.

Movies are copying so much from comics; how about copying that attitude?

6 Likes

It is wonder the MPAA did not rate the film XXX.

4 Likes

The children have to be high?

3 Likes

Here’s the thing: MPAA ratings are recommendations, not laws. It’s completely legal for a person of any age to see a movie regardless of its rating.

6 Likes

Previously, the IFC center “overruled” the MPAA rating for Blue is the Warmest Color

1 Like

Here is the catch: MPAA recommendations are the reason this movie will not be playing in your local multiplex.

4 Likes

The irony here is that the final sentence of the notice seems to suggest you should vote against the incumbent party (i.e. vote Republican).

And, of course, we all know how great their track record is…

I certainly didn’t read it that way. I think it suggests you vote for candidates who will stand for transparency and accountability, if any are ever nominated.

7 Likes

It can be difficult to find a theater that will sell a ticket to a younger person, though. For that matter, some stores enforce the ratings when selling DVDs.

I’ve actually been carded at different stores for buying bargain-bin DVDs of old films like The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, and See No Evil, Hear No Evil (hey, bargain bin, what can I say). Cashiers have actually been more diligent about it than they are when I buy alcohol.

3 Likes

Do the MPAA ratings have any legal force? In the UK, a cinema could lose its license if it let people in to see films they were too young to see according to the BBFC rating. Or, in fact, anything else the local council disapproves of- The Life of Brian was banned in Aberystwyth, Wales, until a few years ago due largely to a councillor who had never seen the whole thing!

1 Like

It’s voluntary-- depends on the retailer/exhibitor. Most of the playback devices can be set to lock out media that’s earned scorn from the ratings board. Don’t know how high the uptake is.Maybe it’s higher in devices that offer one-click purchases.

I seem to recall that fewer venues cared in years past.

With the cost of little portable projectors going down, wouldn’t this warrant the Pirate Cinema treatment?

Not only that. The children have to be this high.

3 Likes

Now I know why I don’t give two fucks about the MPAA anymore :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a big if, but just in case,we’ll be monitoring the situation.

2 Likes

I think at this point, if you’re buying DVDs, that’s already proof you’re old enough to watch anything that’s on those DVDs.

(Okay, maybe not there yet, but… soon!)

2 Likes

Good to see IFC staying close to its Waverly roots.

Down with the man, power to the people.