150 greatest science fiction films of all time

Originally published at: 150 greatest science fiction films of all time - Boing Boing

4 Likes

Stalker, alongside Solaris, are available in Mosfilm YouTube Chanel.

22 Likes

Really? It wasn’t a bad film, but ranking is as the 7th best of all time sure feels like a stretch to me.

8 Likes

My question was about the inclusion of The Matrix.

4 Likes

I bet I can pick the ethic heritage (white), age (about 60), education (university, but not grad school), and income level (low 6 figures) of the folks who made this list.

6 Likes

I cannot believe that these people got #73 and #74 in the wrong order.

:woman_facepalming:t3:

8 Likes

Caught Stalker during my ‘devour-every-cult-director’ phase in 2005. I’ve noticed recently it gaining traction in art-film circles, probably thanks to its stunning visuals. Beware though, it’s heavy on bleak dialogue and minimalist soundtrack. I’ve got adhd, and have always found it difficult to get into despite the incredible shots and acting.

Solaris, on the flip side, is a slow burn with great sound and an emotional punch. The remake too.

5 Likes

What? The first film absolutely deserves to be in a top ten sci fi film list.

Of the top 10 in the list, I have vaguely heard of Stalker but never seen it.

Never even heard of Under the Skin… how have I not even heard of that film??

I don’t know if all of the rest of the top 10 would be in my top 10, but they are all good films.

3 Likes

The remake is surprisingly good, if completely unnecessary.

No, I think they’re in the right order. I’d probably put 73 a good bit higher though!

And probably ditch Star Wars and possibly Close Encounters entirely.

3 Likes

The Matrix is an interesting choice. The movie almost deserves to be atop this list on visual effects alone, but the plot line of people being literal batteries was always ludicrously unbelievable garbage that killed the willing suspension of disbelief.

The original story had machines harnessing people’s intelligence, like an involuntary version of Amazon’s Mechanical Turk, which is at least believable. But the idea wasn’t readily understood by the audience of the day, so they rewrote us as “coppertops”.

7 Likes

… features George Clooney’s naked butt, briefly.

2 Likes

This has been in my top 10 since it first came out. It’s depiction of a deteriorated western civilization still has yet to be matched imo.

The plot, however, doesn’t necessarily come in strong as sci-fi. More like a drama with sci-fi elements. It could easily have been a financial crisis that ruins the world, or some other random catastrophe. In that sense I’m with you.

4 Likes

“Here is a list of practically every SF movie we could think of, in somewhat random order.”

9 Likes

Kinda a shame that they never made any sequels though.

14 Likes

c836a52a526df6ebaa831b8d101b72ae

11 Likes

Hmm, I’ve seen almost every single one of these (and the few I haven’t have always been on my “to watch” list) and I question both inclusions and exclusions. These lists are always kind of problematic, though - they give undue weight to movies that were popular, even if they weren’t good, and are always disproportionately weighted towards movies that came out in the last few years (and won’t withstand the test of time) and/or were watched by the reviewers at impressionable ages. Which also means lots of odd omissions of older (and better) movies.

These lists tend to define “great” such that it encompasses highly influential as well as highly popular and, for sci-fi, also prescient (not to mention good special effects).

“But largely ranked by how well we remember them (i.e. how long ago we saw them).”

10 Likes

6. Under the Skin (2013)

Steve Brule What GIF

I found that movie dead boring.

Also agree that Children of Men should go waaaay dow the list. It was good in some ways, but often a standard Hollywood cliche fest, especially the descent into video-game violence near the end.

5 Likes

I loved it. And Micah Levi’s score which is the opposite of John Fucking Williams.

I’ll even watch his new film despite being based on Martin Amis.

5 Likes

yeah, I’m actually very excited about the Zone of Interest, too…

2 Likes

Sarah Silverman Eww GIF by HULU

2 Likes