What's up with that adorable head tilt that dogs do?

Oof. The stupid, it burns.

8 Likes

…not to mention the damage to one’s woodwork, couches, and bed (even were said Big Cat to have her/his own)!

I often call our beige kitty Our Tiny Lion b/c lion-colored, and frequently tell him how glad I am he’s not Our Full Sized Lion. Among many reasons, we couldn’t all fit on the couch.

ETA: During Egypt’s Archaic period (AKA Early Egypt; 1-2nd Dynasties) at least, the royalty kept lions. They also had huge rooms in their palaces, and an almost unlimited number of staff to take care of everything. Replacing chair legs and buying new furniture wasn’t a problem for them either, nor was victualling those big kitties.

Royal lions were even provided with burials similar to the elite humans’ of the time. This makes me think they were probably more than mere living symbols of kingship, or critters to take a-huntin,’ that they may have been “pets” too.

7 Likes

Or flesh! My Gremlin tests my meaty tenderness every day with her claws, and if she was a big (ger) cat, I’m sure I’d need stitches!

5 Likes

Kinell! There’s that too!

3 Likes

Dogs do this because they can’t tell if you’re recording in portrait or landscape.

9 Likes

The video would have been more engaging with inclusion of many snippets dogs tilting their heads
(and the man taking a breath between his sentences)
Too much screen time taken up by a human

4 Likes

THIS is what I thought the view would be. Instead, it was boring.

1 Like

Or it’s behavioral. Behavior that is rewarded, with cooing and scritches and general positive attention, is reinforced and repeated. Or it’s a combination. Chosen by breeding and reinforced as behavior. Seems most likely to me.

2 Likes

I’d like a pet big cat, even though I know the actual practicalities are basically impossible.

11 Likes

We have a wonderful place for such wonderful things.

:blush: :+1:

6 Likes

8 Likes

Babu!!

6 Likes

Yes, this is me. I know I can’t afford to feed something this large, nor do I want to clean it’s poop, and the logic part of my brain says it can kill me, but if you put this right in front of me I would say BABY and try to cuddle it and possibly invite it in my house. Everyone I know thinks I will probably die trying to pet something I shouldn’t.

8 Likes

I’ve been lucky enough to get up close and personal with some big cats in a controlled circumstance – even got to pet them and scritch their ears. We’d volunteered for repair crew and ground cleanup with a “big cat rescue” center and getting to meet the lions, tigers, (and yes, bears, but obviously they weren’t specifically big cats) was absolutely worth the work time. Hearing some of the stories of those rescued animals wasn’t easy. No, people should not be trying to turn them into pets!

Also, did you know lions can spray their urine about 15 meters or so with a high degree of accuracy? While I don’t want to attribute human emotions, it sure did seem like they found it amusing when they nail some unsuspecting person! (No, not me, thankfully.)

9 Likes

I forget where I was told how to catch tigers in the wild.

7 Likes

or 1970s Hollywood.

3 Likes

The imperial Chinese way of keeping lions around seems safer

4 Likes

,which is funny because Shar Peis were bred to resemble these Chinese lions.

This is a painting of Zulu, my nymsake, peace be upon him, not quite tilting his head
photo copy

14 Likes

Awwwwwwwww What a sweetie!

6 Likes

Wow! That’s a nice painting too!

7 Likes