When is it okay to call something "terrorism?"

Unreliable narrator. They didn’t even try to burgalize anyone. Sounds like a way to deny the real motive (and avoid additional charges) once caught without picking up any additional charges for the supposed burgalary that never was attempted.

11 Likes

Is this really a serious hurdle?

2 Likes

I think it can be? A criminal statute for domestic terrorism would allow the FBI and DOJ to charge a terrorist with federal crimes even if the underlying felony (murder or assault or whatever) is only state charges. The DOJ doesn’t get to prosecute on the federal level unless some federal law was violated or the person crossed state lines during some part of the criminal act (and maybe a few other things I don’t remember).

As we’ve seen countless times, it is often very important that the feds get to try a crime in federal court when the criminal is white. They get lesser or no punishment for state crimes in way too many places in the US if they are white, cis, hetero, christian-adjacent, men.

14 Likes

100% The primary tool for them now is the Hate Crimes statute, and that’s pretty limiting.

7 Likes

Don’t know if that’s a good source. But seems relevant…

8 Likes

FBI among agencies investigating five shootings at Democratic officials' homes and offices in Albuquerque

8 Likes
7 Likes

I posted this in a couple of other threads…

5 Likes
13 Likes

So he’s agreeing that events like January 6th are terrorism, right? Right?

15 Likes

Max Headroom Lol GIF by kotutohum

Ever notice how GIFs of laughter look like screaming or crying?

12 Likes

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

And Mayor Dickens back there… WTF, man.

11 Likes

let me try to get this straight:
violently attack the nation’s capitol to overturn a democratically conducted election, makes one a “patriot”.
shoot at and disable large power grid infrastructure in order to trigger “race war” is simple vandalism.
set fire to one cop car in retaliation for an assassination by cops and get labeled “terrorist”.
do i have it right?

fuck the police! ACAB

19 Likes

One last element: do any of those things while brown and it is automatically terrorism. Also special categories for BIPOC that are terrorism:
Protesting
Open carry of firearms
Flying on planes
Traffic violations
Practicing certain religions
Cussing at police
Voting

18 Likes

Also

Walking down the street.
Asking the police a polite question in response to . . . well, anything.

11 Likes

It seems okay to say it in Atlanta.

And Marge is upset that the feds won’t do anything. The feds are involved in this. Does she not even know what’s going on in her state?

They are all being charged with domestic terrorism, a felony.

4 Likes
9 Likes
6 Likes

Roy Wood Jr. on The Daily Show did this report on “Cop City,” environmental impact, and the protesters being described as/treated like terrorists a while ago. An update on the recent killing was added to the end:

11 Likes