Floods, Fires, and Heat Domes (the climate change thread)

Framework Green New Deal introduced by AOC and Ed Markey:

Pelosi disses and distances:

“It will be one of several or maybe many suggestions that we receive,” Pelosi said. “The green dream or whatever they call it, nobody knows what it is but they’re for it right?”

AOC interview with NPR Morning Edition:

AOC and Markey say Pelosi has always been a leader on climate (?), that AOC was invited to join the Climate Select Committee but declined (?), and that Pelosi is “with us on this”. Also, 60+ original co-sponsors within the Democratic Caucus.

3 Likes

Sagan on climate in 1990. (Begin at 7:07.)

3 Likes

“TVA has more than enough capacity to meet the load without Paradise and Bulll Run,” TVA President Bill Johnson said today."

“After the closing of the U.S. Enrichment Corp, facility in Paducah, Kentucky and the addition of more nuclear power, natural gas and solar generation, the large base load plants are no longer needed, Johnson said.”

“The only way the plants are able to do their intended function is that our base load would have to double, but I think our base load is likely to decline,” Johnson said. “They are relatively old and both have outlived lived their design life. We can retire these plants without any impact on the reliability or resilience of these units.”

“Johnson said the plant sites could be sold or used for other uses, such as what the Google data center did at the shuttered Widows Creek plant in Alabama.”

3 Likes
3 Likes

https://twitter.com/jh_swanson/status/1098342472302903296?s=21

4 Likes
6 Likes

“Kids, kids – don’t talk about climate, talk about me getting reelected! That’s what’s important here.”

Meanwhile, back to BAU, and the clock keeps running.

ETA: I saw this offered as a counter-example for Sen. Feinstein. (8 years ago.)

1 Like
5 Likes

https://twitter.com/woke_hoover/status/1099164667711229952?s=21

4 Likes
8 Likes

Thread:

Even if you are being a good earth citizen and recycling, it doesn’t mean that your municipality is. Which isn’t to say “give up”, but rather get educated, and, if necessary, start educating and pressuring your local politicians to clean up your municipality’s act.

6 Likes

Related:

8 Likes

Thread:

4 Likes
3 Likes

Not sure if tis truly belongs here, but:

Just a big ol’ WTF

4 Likes

Only one explanation I know about…

But seriously… WTF?

9 Likes

Bonus points for “Hitchhikers’” reference!

5 Likes

First!

Perhaps when Cat 5 hurricanes roll across the Eastern seaboard or up through the Gulf of Mexico in December or January people might, might just go hmmmmm.

6 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes