When the Floods Come: the Climate Change thread

Ok, the whole smallpox thing caught my attention. That would be the ultimate “fuck you” from 2020 on it’s way out. Sure, let’s do that. Holy shit…

ETA: Before we get worked up, I am unable to find any data on viability of that particular virus under permafrost conditions over time. Not sure that is reassuring, given the known risk from thawed out anthrax spores, but smallpox is a virus, does not form spores, and hopefully does not survive freeze-thaw cycles well. It’s a hope, anyway.

5 Likes

It’s not like anything that is going to thaw out was in a vacuum pack, so my money is on freezer burn.
Still, this could get interesting.

1 Like

And not at liquid nitrogen temps, so degradation should absolutely occur. But weird things happen.

2 Likes

Well, so much for that.
2 Likes
3 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 12 hours unless flagged)

“ * In Philadelphia, Climate Central calculated that average winter temperatures have risen 4.8 degrees since 1970, and the season has 19 more days with above-normal temperatures.

• Atlantic City winters have warmed 4.3 degrees with 14 more days above normal.
  • Allentown has warmed 3.8 degrees with 14 more days above normal.”

“ Overall, average winter temperatures increased the most around the Great Lakes and Northeast region, as did the number of days with above-normal temperatures.”

“ Warmer winters might be enjoyable for some, but they can have serious consequences for industries such as agriculture.

“Fruit trees,” Sublette said, “need to be chilled cold for a good part of the winter so they get those cues to come out of dormancy and produce flowers and fruit. If that doesn’t happen they get all messed up.”

3 Likes