When you go to the zoo, you are breathing the DNA of the animals inside it

Originally published at: When you go to the zoo, you are breathing the DNA of the animals inside it | Boing Boing

2 Likes

So are all the anti vaxxers going to be anti zoo now too? :wink:

9 Likes

If you can smell it, their poop is in your nose. Even if you can’t.

24 Likes

Also when you ride the subway.

18 Likes
6 Likes

Right? And it’s funny, these kind of factoids are usually shared with an air of “omg! isn’t that gross?” But it doesn’t disturb me at all. That’s just the universe: all these little bits of everything wafting around. We’re constantly in a state of disintegration and regeneration, because it all wants to go back to pieces. That life exists and has found a way to keep a recognizable form in place for more than a few days is just utterly wondrous. :smiley:

21 Likes

Not surprising. We all have our own personal mini-biome following us around…
Germ Clouds!

17 Likes

Smells like a Zoo in here.

3 Likes

Yeah, and you can also go the inspiring route with this besides the disgusting – like you’ve probably breathed in some of the same air that Shakespeare, or Einstein, or whatever historical figure you like, has.

2 Likes
11 Likes

nosean4

6 Likes

So the real question for this thread:

is not so much whether we should but how many different species we can safely intermingle in our nasal cavities before there’s no room left.

2 Likes

Now do one for a Taco Bell restroom!

1 Like

In other ‘shocking’ news, when you enjoy the burrito, you are digesting the DNA of the plants and animals inside it.

6 Likes

Except maybe in Iceland
https://www.cbc.ca › news › world
Iceland tests find meat pies contain no meat at all | CBC News

Their “DNA” (aka dead skin cells) wouldn’t bother me so much as all the live bacteria/viruses native to the various species. You’re certainly breathing them, also.

9 Likes

Uhm? yes?

Not just the zoo, the whole earth is (for now) covered with life and all its fun excretions. With every breath, bite, and sip you take you will be consuming all kinds. We are covered in it, drenched, fed on it, we are part of it and it is part of us!

If you think this is a problem it is I think the only one the right-wing can be trusted to solve if you let them :slight_smile:

I’m having a hard time seeing why that’s a surprise. Wait till they find out what’s in meat! It’s filled with DNA! Milk, too! And eggs! Salad is just filthy with it. And even most water contains some unless it’s been filtered and purified.

2 Likes