Where were you when Challenger exploded?

Sixth grade free period outside looking if we could see the launch (on clear days we could see the plume, and night launches make out the flame from the engines). Too much cloud cover that day for us to see it.

3 Likes

In college. A housemate came in and asked ā€œare you watching it?ā€

1 Like

In high school. The first I heard of it was some asshole kid joking at lunchtime about ā€œthe teacher who blew up.ā€ Later there was an announcement over the PA system, and I turned on the TV as soon as I got home because I still didnā€™t quite believe it.

2 Likes

Out of school for the day (which we were supposed to watch on TV that day in class) because my great grandmother had passed away.

5 Likes

Yā€™all are so bloody young. This thread needs @d_r!

7 Likes

High school. The librarian told us about it. My ā€œfriendā€ who was a prick laughed about it. Glad he is out of my life.

3 Likes

In class, in eighth grade, if Iā€™m remembering correctly. We were told about it, but it didnā€™t really register until I got home and I heard a report about it on the radio. I still remember hearing the teacherā€™s students crying in the background of the news. Thatā€™s when it really hit me, and I started crying too.

My mother had actually seen the launch, and the explosion, live on television. After that she never watched another shuttle launch or landing. She couldnā€™t bear it.

3 Likes

Me too. Given that it was in the AM, and I was 24, I must have been asleep. I was self employed freelance, then as now, and tend to be nocturnal. Had someone not called to tell me I would have slept through 9/11 too, though the sirens might have woken me.

3 Likes

During dinner, high school exchange student in Germany. I left the table. NASA is and the shuttle program was a big presence in my hometown. It felt simultaneously very close and very remote.

5 Likes

I was a junior in high school. I was in the library, naturally, when one of our librarians came running in upset crying out ā€œIt blew up, it blew up ā€¦ā€ Once she was calm enough to tell us more, we got a TV out of the AV room and spent the rest of the day there in the library watching the coverage and being solemn.

For a variety of reasons, Iā€™ve blocked most of my memories of that year of my life (plus a few months on either side), but that memory remains clear.

5 Likes

Thanks.

I was working in England, only my 2nd job post-PhD; still a youngster.

7 Likes

I was four. So probably at home?

Edit: I remember seeing something in school about it, but that was probably the '88 Discovery flight that was the first post challenger shuttle flight.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.