Which rectangle is darker?

Which rectangle is darker?

Whichever one has a harder time finding a place to stay on Airbnb.

13 Likes

5 Likes

But the actual dress seen in more usual lighting isn’t really whitish at all, but a reasonably full blue. So if you interpreted it as a kind of off-white instead, I think you can appreciate why others were confused into seeing it as even whiter still.

2 Likes

That top one if one of my favorites ever.

I assume they still teach this stuff in design school. What colors and shades one sees is greatly affected by what is around it.

2 Likes

James Gurney has a good painting of this in his color and light book.

5 Likes

Right, but that’s not what a person should be seeing. The picture was so washed out and so unnaturally saturated that it was effectively color altered.

It was more like seeing a photoshopped image, once people saw the real dress then the arguments started…but that wasn’t a natural situation and nobody saw those images through human eyes.

Many people, including myself, saw it as obviously a blue and black dress long before the catalog photo surfaced. The arguments started long before then, too.

1 Like

What color is this dress?

2 Likes

You’re having a conversation that we are not.

Edit: The question is not “What color are the pixels in this photograph of a dress?” The question is “This is a photograph of a dress that exists in the real world; what color is that dress?” The answer to that question is “blue and black” whatever you do to the photo.

It sounds like the reason you don’t understand why the dress confused so many people is that you’re supposing nobody could have been able to see as what it actually proved to be. But that’s a mistake. There were arguments from the beginning.

For the record, I see your second dress as a solid pink with dark red-purple bands, but I don’t think it’s actually analogous because the ambient cues work differently. Those are important in how people perceive the color of objects. The illusion is that some people interpreted them one way, and some another. Neither is inherently more proper, any more than you should see vases or faces in the figure-ground illusion.

You can count me as another person who never saw the original dress as anything but a badly washed photo of blue-and-black, from before there were any others. You’re not actually going to tell me I wasn’t seeing things the way I should just because I interpreted it as was what it was really an image of, are you?

1 Like

The first pictures were JUST of the white/gold image. The second image was modified from the first.

Nobody should look at the first image and say that is a blue and black dress. It is (accidentally) photoshopped for all practical purposes

It wasn’t an illusion, it was the brain’s proper use of the image data that, due to a technological failure, was presented improperly. That white/gold image was not what a human eye would have seen in any circumstances where it was not also aware it was temporarily damaged.

So, with the second image added didn’t add a layer to the illusion…the brain still knows a blue black dress can’t look gold and white under any circumstances in which we can process an image, but a white gold dress can look blue and black in darker lighting.

The only people with normal ocular systems who should have thought blue black were possible were either those who knew the original photo was broken and were aware that the original photographer took a picture of a blue and black dress or those who are experts with digital photography and/or false color images…how else did you reconcile the first image with it?

It’s not an illusion, it’s the proper response for the brain to an image that cannot exist inreal world consitions without pain or obvious unnatural lighting providing other cues

I’m afraid I don’t know what to tell you. That initial washed-out photo was obviously a picture of a blue and black dress from the first moment I saw it, and I was (and remain) unable to see it as white and gold. I do have some experience with photo editing, but I’m certainly not an expert; it just looks like a washed-out photo of a blue and black dress to me.

I’m sorry?

4 Likes

Don’t you have good photographic skills? I could’ve sworn you had a knack for such things .

I mean I guess I could have said it better, you’re right. I should have said that ‘regular folk’ were completely right to not override what the brain says, and somebody who knows broken/damaged images could have concluded that it was a very washed out image and overriden that natural processing.

I still see it as the equivalent of a false color image though…not an illusion.

It’s been 'shopped. I can tell by the pixels.

We’re agreeing, actually!

Most people have very little or no familiarity with image manupulation (I have one within the nearest five rows of cubes on my floor at work…I only half count)

Those people should just follow their brain’s cues, right?

The only people I knew who saw blue/black or blue/brown were the ones with photographic or image manipulation skills, because they added another layer of processing.

I actually sided with the normies. I got that it was oversaturated (though I saw blue/brown), but not with my brain’s natural processes…it was an override of sorts (and mine wasn’t as good as yours obviously)

I ended up deciding I lost that argument … so this is a bit weird. My local people all saw exactly the same thing and I had decided that I was all elitist…I think I still agree with them though.

I think maybe a better way to say it is ‘somebody expecting the image to be something their eyes can see’ should follow the cues and see white/gold because that is an impossible way to see a blue/black dress in the real world. (Without your brain going ‘holy shit, my eyes are overwhelmed’…a cue that does not exist here)

Somebody treating the image like a broken photo could see the blue/black one could be one possible correct image that would create the first.

Edit: here’s a big thread on exactly that!
Also…do you guys actually see black in the original image? I don’t understand why anybody would see that as black and I’m seeing that echoed. Where did you get blue/black from without being prompted? (I get the blue, since there definitely is some)

I think that would be… your Mom.

I did a screen capture of the checkerboard illusion so I could directly compare the shades A and B… whoa! You’re twistin’ my melon, man!

A bathtub full of liverwurst.

It was being viewed on a wide range of monitors including old CRT ones, IZGO displays, OLED displays, IPS and probably older LCD technologies as well. They have a wide variety of gamuts and color temperatures. Another factor is the gamma curve - because most displays can only show 8 bits per color, a range of 0:255, they cannot show the full brightness range available to the eye and brightness gets compressed.
I first saw it on a calibrated display set to noon sunlight and there was no problem at all seeing it correctly.

I think too that the rectangles will look different according to the quality of the display, with poorer displays giving a more blocky appearance to the shading.

1 Like