Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, you don't know the phonetic alphabet yet?

Love this idea.

But here’s what I’ll be doing:

A as in Acrocanthosaurus
B as in Buitreraptor
C as in Cymatosaurus
D as in Drepanosaurus
E as in Eustreptospondylus
F as in Flugopterus
G as in Guizhouichthyosaurus
H as in Hatzegopteryx
I as in Ichthyovenator
J as in Jobaria
K as in Kritosaurus
L as in Leaellynasaura
M as in Metriacanthosaurus
N as in Nemegtosaurus
O as in Odontochelys
P as in Psephoderma
Q as in Qianichthyosaurus
R as in Rhaeticosaurus
S as in Sinosaurosphargis
T as in Tsintaosaurus
U as in Unenlagia
V as in Veterupristisaurus
W as in Wuerhosaurus
X as in Xinminosaurus
Y as in Yi qi
Z as in Zalmoxes

(This was way too much fun.)

5 Likes

Indeed. Ack Ack, Beer Beer was a popular BBC radio show during WWII targeted at the crews of Antiaircraft Artillery and Barrage Balloons.
edited to add: https://www.radiorewind.co.uk/sounds/50yrs82.mp3

2 Likes

Making it two syllables prevents confusion with Five, which it otherwise can sound like over a poor connection.

3 Likes

I always wondered about that. Loath that word, though.

In the military, getting a number wrong can very often result in killing people that you had not intended to kill.
edited to add. I started to write “killing the wrong people,” but that is a significantly more intractable problem, one that is much more difficult to correct for.

3 Likes

Meh. Infantry are just targets anyway. Ours? Theirs? … to a gunner it doesn’t really matter. The only glory is to be found in the purity of the maths and physics.

2 Likes

Those are great! I think I might have to borrow C, E, P and Q.

1 Like

I remember having to learn the NATO alphabet when I was studying for my ham license.

1 Like

Funny looks, and then they’d ask to see some kind of ID.

2 Likes

I heard it was to distinguish 5 and 9, which have the same vowel sound.

1 Like

Like, a passport.

“Enunciation.”

That be chewing out your words right so folks can understand what you’re saying.

I still use “Ack Emma”. I think it stared as a joke but it’s just become practice.

1 Like

Is there a channel with a sailor enunciating the phonetic alphabet? We use that shit all the time!

As a professional merchant seaman, I could do that for everyone; however, I don’t have a blog-channel. Then again, I’ve been to college; so I might not sound as sailor-like as some might want.

Why even try…?

Foxtrot India Tango Bravo Sierra…

1 Like

Hey! Keep it in the Hotel!

1 Like

At 10. Dad was a HAM too, and a reserve officer. Additional bonus: my native language is Dutch.

1 Like

For marine radio communications, the spelled out sections are bracketed by a leading “I spell” and a trailing “end spell”. Thus: “My vessel name is Bananna, I spell bravo alpha november alpha november november alpha end spell”

1 Like

Atlanta ground refers to the major North-South taxiway “D” as “Dixie”. Maaaaybe because of the huge number of Delta’s taxiing around. Maybe because it’s Atlanta.

1 Like

I would definitely need at least one of the first before I could be convinced to attempt either the second or third.

1 Like

Must mention Edward Gorey’s delightful “Gastly Crumb Tinies”

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs.
B is for Basil assaulted by bears.
C is for Clair who wasted away.
D is for Desmond thrown out of the sleigh.

7 Likes