White Culture

Reminds me a bit also of this discussion about “vanilla” becoming paradoxically associated with whiteness and blandness.

I want to say I saw another essay on that too. But it’s interesting, and yes, it’s about white culture and slavery.

Not because we’re trying to prove how “good” we are by eating spicy food. That’s a childish and simplistic way to think about a difficult and complicated problem.

Frankly it’s an offensive assumption as well and really borders on bad faith.

Who the hell is eating spicy food to prove they aren’t racist?

11 Likes

Mmm… love me some pepper spray concentrate with Ed Hardy-esque branding. Pass the ketchup.

2 Likes

Exactly; even much of today’s ‘soul food’ is a direct throwback to the antebellum south and the leftover, unwanted animal parts that were given to slaves for food (ie, chitterlings, hamhocks, pig’s feet, ox tail, etc…)

15 Likes

Maybe I’m wrong, but this whole concept of “LinkedIn influencer” seems like some super white people shit to me:

Along with this Twitter account:
https://twitter.com/bestoflinkedin

LinkedIn fucking sucks by the way.

9 Likes

Follow up commentary from Mother Jones:

9 Likes

This convo about white culture in the context of food is really eye opening for me. I’m constantly grateful to live in a time with such rich access to foods that weren’t available when I was growing up, and had never thought about the cultural* biases built into our food culture before.
This comment isn’t directed at you, personally, but a thank you to all commenters here furthering the conversation. TIL. I’ll definitely be more mindful of this from now on.

• Barring the run of the mill sexism we see in that industry.
9 Likes

“I couldn’t sleep last night,” Anckle said. “I couldn’t get the image of these people out of my head. When you looked at their faces, there was no compassion, a total lack of humanity. It was the best display of privileges I have ever seen.

But on Wednesday, the “vaccine vultures in Versace”, so named by the director of the community center, Beryl Tsang, descended.
“The demographics of the group that showed up for the second doses were quite different from the group that our volunteers worked so hard to bring to the line,” said Anckle. “My office overlooks a parking lot, which was full of luxury SUVs yesterday. These are the cars in which they finally left.
Anckle said many of the crowd appeared to know each other.

10 Likes

White privilege is writing laws to ban the discussion of white privilege.

16 Likes

18 Likes

Not sure if this belongs here or in Odd Stuff, but this is one of the weirdest, white culture things I’ve read recently:

At least I, of Asian descent, find it weird.

6 Likes

Its weird to be sure, to be sure. But at least it isn’t being mean (so far).

5 Likes

White people hot sauce needs more allspice / cinnamon / cloves / nutmeg to smooth it out a little. And we need to use more turmeric as well, preferably after investing in a serious apron.

4 Likes

I’ve been making this stuff since I saw it here in 2014:

It’s the bomb.

6 Likes

I’d argue that the biggest issue is that they are using bland chiles. But I live in the Messilla Valley so …

2 Likes

:thinking:

10 Likes

:cry:

8 Likes

Twitter thread on how people are erased from history.

7 Likes

15 Likes

8 Likes

There is probably still a better topic for this I have not found yet. Anyway, for the USians, happy flag day.

3 Likes