White Culture

Worse, it might make them feel badly about how Black humans were (and are) treated. Can’t let that happen, next thing you know they will start thinking they are full blown citizens!

edit: Responding to DeStupid’s reasoning.

11 Likes

And @Scientist… I would argue that the people who NEED to understand Black history are white Americans… Many young Black folks get Black history from their families, so are often more familiar with the broad outlines than white kids.

16 Likes

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

11 Likes

14 Likes
10 Likes

The right are so caught up in the pageantry of leadership, they don’t realize that if you’re on the ground in a disaster zone, the last thing you want is for the President, or the “head” of the EPA to come visit. You want people and resources that can actually help with logistics and such.
But I guess to them, fixing shit is a lesser photo opp than tossing paper towels out to the crowd. :woman_facepalming:t2:

11 Likes

Did JD Vance blame the victims of the disaster for their misfortune? That’s been his approach to these white Real Americans™ the Yale grad and former venture capitalist “speaks for” since at least Hillbilly Elegy.

7 Likes

THIS! So much this. Every time I something like this happens in Canada this plays out. If the Prime Minister doesn’t show up, he doesn’t care about the country. If he does show up it, “Get the fuck out there you clown and let the professionals do their work.”

It’s exhausting to see it play out this way time and time again.

14 Likes

There’s this weird phenomenon in basketball fandom on YT. There’s this obsession with Larry Bird. He was a great player in his time and has all kinds of awards and recognition, so it’s not like he’s some talentless slob. But the way so many fans talk about him, like he’d be dominating the game right now, it’s got this White Supremacy undertone. The videos often take a form of

[legendary Black basketball player] says Larry Bird would {kill, destroy, dominate} current NBA players

It’s pretty disgusting, and yet the Algorithm throws these videos at me constantly, apparently because I like basketball? It’s like getting served Prager U ads despite watching only progressive political videos.

14 Likes

Larry Bird GIF by SB Nation

Yikes…

9 Likes

I’m not much of a basketball fan, but from what I remember as a kid, it was Dr. J and others who were in the spotlight back then. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

I remember the 80s the big thing prior to the rise of Michael Jordan was the Bird-Johnson rivalry (Celtics-Lakers).

11 Likes

Yeah. Celtics-Lakers, with the substory of Magic-Bird, which gave way to Pistons-Bulls and the substory of MJ-Isaiah Thomas.

Frankly, none of those players would be as dominant in the current NBA. Both Magic and Bird would be way too slow. I mean, glacial. Most plays would be over by the time they got down the court. MJ would still be an excellent player, but his athleticism would be pretty pedestrian now. His greatest attribute that would carry over is his competitiveness. Isaiah Thomas might actually be the most capable of those players in today’s NBA, but more as a ball handler and distributor than as a scorer. /sportsball monologue

11 Likes

Season 3 GIF by Parks and Recreation

Probably so…

8 Likes

Sorry. You caught me monologuing.

the incredibles syndrome GIF

10 Likes

Do Not Worry Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

I learned something, so!

9 Likes

Whenever someone talks sports around me…

#derry girls from Mossomness

9 Likes

Big Tech is not our friend :fearful:

good job, way to fill airtime between commercials

9 Likes

They were slow back then. Most nights now Lebron is the slowest down the court, but he still dominates. Luka’s slow too. Twice reigning MVP Jokić is slower than any of them. Slow and skilled still wins. Magic and Bird would absolutely be top 5 players in the modern nba.

But, getting back to your main point. Yes the Larry Bird worship has always had a lot of white-supremacist fantasy undertones to it. And Bird’s own take on that is pretty mixed.

Bird on the epic racism of sports fans in Boston:

Well, I don’t know. To me, Boston is just a hardworking, tough town that loves their sports. I heard a little bit about all [the racism]. I know how Bill Russell was treated when he was there, and it gives you a feeling in your stomach. It makes you want to throw up. But I can’t speak for anybody else that said that it’s forgotten because I didn’t go through that. I didn’t see a lot of that when I was out there. All I knew is when we came into the game that they wanted you to win. But you hear about things.

and from the same 2019 interview, Bird came out with some fucked-up “white men win with hard work while Black athletes are naturally gifted” bullshit:

I have said over the years that the black man is the better athlete, so to overcome that you’ve got to be special.

7 Likes

Korean Drama No GIF by The Swoon

12 Likes