White Mirror: How did Microsoft's 2009 predictions for the world of 2019 hold up?

Beg pardon! I meant microshirt.

Still no flying ca… wait a second…

tesla%20spaceman

2 Likes

gatesgoo

1 Like

Ok. What happened to all the god damned buttons?

1 Like

So… the science behind growing plants will be considered part of “social studies” in 2019?

Here’s how we know Microsoft can’t predict even 5 years into their own future: there are no Hololenses in this video.

1 Like

to me a LOT of the USAGE cases have come true BUT the implementation is off side
the “E boarding” pass is our PHONE the E newspaper is our tablet and we are seeing “smart screens” on walls and fridge doors
and VR/AR and hololense and google glasses are nearly here

Hololens hasn’t found its niche yet. But, the tech is in the WMR headsets now. Maybe I am a sucker for buying the Samsung Odyssey+ instead of something more Steam compatible. It really seemed like the most kit for the money, and one of the best display panels.

So far, it is pretty awesome. I am going to try a full workday in the VR cliffhouse and see how it works.

1 Like

I own a Rift and at work we have a Hololens. I can say that, for me anyway, in a working environment, Hololens feels like the future. I can’t even spend 1 hour in my Rift without feeling the need to rip the thing off my head, but the Hololens (or at least, a future revision of the Hololens) doesn’t feel that way to me. There are absolutely use-cases for an immersive VR setup, but I truly believe that the average worker doing typical business work, including coding, would take to an AR environment much better.

1 Like

They sure have some odd looking iPhones.

2 Likes

So, not totally covered in advertizing… esp advertizing for things you don’t want but that someone wants to sell and things that you may have looked at once, and now follows you and everyone you know? Well, let’s hope MS was mostly right.

1 Like

There’s a touchscreen coffee mug!

Snark if you will, but you could have this specced out and ready for preorders on the BoingBoing Shop page inside of six months if you wanted.

…I may regret having said that.

4 Likes

The microsoft video seemed to be about a rich guy who flies architects halfway around the world to make his mansion more green, The apple video seemed much more humanist.

2 Likes

The pump don’t work cos the vandals took the handles

1 Like

Yeah, it’s almost like it’s clearly marked “Productivity” and is most likely from and about their business/enterprise division. Weird how that works.

Of course it’s bland and happy and corporate. It’s basically their existing “Look at this happy, gender-balanced ethnically mixed group of pretty people wearing business causal and pointing at Office 365” advertisements with the tech replaced by optimistic predictions. Those don’t get too much mainstream exposure (after all, the target audience is management types), but from the glimpses I’ve seen, this is fairly typical.

3 Likes

The man in the coon-skin cap in a pig pen
Wants eleven dollar bills – you only got ten

Seems like a fair amount of flak big tech corps get here is based on stuff that is fairly typical of other corporations in the sector (just they are already getting scrutiny for bad behavior which isn’t typical).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.