Who doesn't need a squadron of battle ready F-16s?

Lots of F4U Corsairs still out there. They made those until 1953.

3 Likes

As seen on Black Sheep Squadron (which is currently on basic cable)

2 Likes

But I need these to get to my secret island lair inside the dormant volcano.

6 Likes

One of my dad’s favorite shows. I watched it when it aired originally.

1 Like

Are you sure about that?

5 Likes

Man the MiG-29 Fulcrum was my favorite Russian jet. Look at that sexy mofo. They could to this weird “cobra” maneuver where they are flying vertically instead of horizontally like they should.

10 Likes

Given that the right to bear arms is enshrined in the constitution, what’s to prevent a rich crazy person from buying one and using it to strafe the shit out of a Walmarts?

1 Like

RTFA:

The buyers must comply with and successfully navigate the strict ITARS (International Traffic in Arms Regulations) rules surrounding acquiring and operating a weapon system like an F-16, which keeps these planes out of the hands of those who shouldn’t be able to pull them apart, let alone fly them. So no, this plane can’t really be purchased by some rich dude who is looking for a thrilling alternative to the latest supercar.

3 Likes

Local buyer will collect from next door:

5 Likes

Mine too. I was a bit too young for it originally, but became an fan after a job working in civil aviation in my youth.

2 Likes

I have to admit, the Boing Boing Store has really outdone itself this time.

21 Likes

“Wanna get high?”

“No thanks, I don’t need a twisty blunt.”

“No I mean, like, really high…”

5 Likes

7 Likes

Can I get a look at the odometers?

3 Likes

But not brass knuckles. (Everyone knows knuckles aren’t arms.)

2 Likes

2 Likes

Has anyone challenged those rules in court claiming they violate the 2nd amendment?

2 Likes

Yep. Serious issues w/ ITAR and EAR here. The article mentions it briefly. But…if anyone wants to end up in federal prison, go ahead and purchase one of these things and pretend you’re “in compliance” w/ the regs.

1 Like

This reminds me of a segment of a Warren Miller flick where they go heli-skiing in Russia not long after the collapse of the Soviet Union. The helicopter? Nothing less than a huge Russian military chopper that only soldiers or crazy dudes would fly. In this case, it was the latter.

3 Likes

ITAR is pretty fucking hardcore, I don’t think anyone is rich or dumb enough to challenge it. You can accidentally get in trouble selling certain military used sights overseas, IIRC. I think they nailed a guy for mailing flight manuals to Russia under ITAR.

I mean the last thing you want is Ethan Hawke showing up at your door.

ETA - Also most of the stuff on an F-16 you can’t legally own either. Like the Machine gun would have had been registered pre-1986. Any missiles etc has to have explosives licenses. At best if you were a maker of machine guns or missiles you may have the right licenses to own something like that as a dealer sample.

2 Likes