Who or what is your confidence-boosting alter ego?

Originally published at: Who or what is your confidence-boosting alter ego? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Martin McCabe.

1 Like

Drunk Guy? No, but seriously. I was extremely nervous during Freshman orientation at college. I stayed in a motel with my mom for two nights and walked around a bit teary-eyed at the thought of being away from my sheltered small-town home life. At some point (after she left) during a meet and greet I snapped into a character of super-enthusiastic greeter guy and started doing really obnoxious and disingenuous crowd-work. I’d done musical and sketch theater to some very small-pond success, so I think it was just choosing stage presence over reality. Friends(?) told me later they thought I had been an RA. My wife says we met that day, but it was all a blur to me. She says I was “annoying, but the confidence was compelling”

5 Likes

I don’t have a character, per se, but if I have the spoons, I’m the guy cracking jokes at everything.

3 Likes

My husky fursona.

13 Likes

Anybody that has spent any time near me knows that I don’t need an alter-ego to be recklessly over-confident.

21 Likes

The Punisher.

2 Likes

Round here, we call that a fursona

8 Likes

Same here.

21 Likes

I like the idea of a confidence boosting alter ego.

That sounds fun.

10 Likes

Oh Boy, too many to list, I lead a very active imagination way of life.

8 Likes

I get super nervous when having to speak publicly – clammy hands, shaky voice. When my kids were little, we had a Halloween fundraiser at their school, where I was emcee and had to speak several times from the stage. I was dressed as the Green Hornet (only a handful of folks knew who I was supposed to be); being in costume definitely allowed me to speak without my usual case of nerves. It was very empowering.

10 Likes

Insecurity Man! I have the proportionate level of self-doubt of 10,000 nerds. I’ve tried for a gritty reboot but it just makes me more aggressively insecure and my voice all gravelly.

8 Likes

10 Likes

I have no particular alter ego, but I tend to adopt a very straight-forward, no BS attitude when dealing with the public at large. I eventually noticed that I was channeling Tommy Lee Jones’ characters in The Fugitive or Men In Black. State the situation, lay out the way forward and move right along — next subject, please. There will be no discussion or argument because no room is left for any. Basically an unrepentant, self-confident, know-it-all asshole.

It’s not a great way to make friends, but it worked very well for me when I worked in private security and had to occasionally do crowd control, keeping rowdy sports fans away from danger and preventing them from damaging nearby property.

Over time I’ve become more and more stoic; I don’t know if that persona arises out of stoicism or if it has helped cement the philosophy as a way of life… maybe a bit of both.

3 Likes

I now have that earworm in my head; thanks!

10 Likes

Sister Bertrille is my altar ego.

12 Likes

A Special Circumstances operative from the Culture, complete with snarky drone.

7 Likes

Might as well, then…

12 Likes

I understand that cat’s involved in big underground drills.

1 Like