Whole Whole Earth Catalog online

Originally published at: Whole Whole Earth Catalog online | Boing Boing

7 Likes

The Whole Earth Catalog changed my life, and yes, I still have my original copies.

7 Likes

Whole Earth Catalog is where I first learned of the art of Jim Woodring. It was in the corners of one of them and you could flip it like a flip book I think? And there was another that just had a story. Can’t seem to find it now. But he is just phenomenal and phenomenally weird.

(I don’t remember a thing from the rest of the WECs. They seemed to be ubiquitous at my hippie friend’s homes in the 90s.)

7 Likes

i believe that Woodrings amazing art appeared in The Millennium Whole Earth Catalog c1994. So starting here and flipping until page 7, we do indeed see Woodring’s excellent work in the lower right corners of the odd-numbered pages “Frank’s Real Pa”, which continues throughout, yet i see little potential for a flip-book like animation and more a small comic.

1 Like

Yeah I still have it. Odd pages 7-373, single panels in the lower right corner. Not my introduction to Woodring - I’d already been collecting Jim and Frank - but the only reason I bought the catalog!

The story was later released by Fantagraphics in a one-shot and is included in the (imo essential) collection The Frank Book.

6 Likes

Haven’t been able to find an index to the index so that I could do a keyword search on items of interest, like the reviews of mine WER published.

Sent an email to see if they have one or I’m just lost.

2 Likes

Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

The PDFs are searchable. Some PDF viewers allow you to search for text in a folder full of PDFs and highlight the surrounding text, otherwise I think FileLocator Lite does as well. You could do a search for indexes. I’m going to download them all and see what a search shows - should be fun.

2 Likes

Thanks Rob!
Now I need to go find my old copy of Whole Earth Catalog.
Cheers!

1 Like

The fact that it’s “almost complete” feels very fitting. There’s always more to track down and learn. (WEC even got an honourable mention in “The Long Earth” series co-written by Sir Terry Pratchett- to a Brit brat this was a revelation.)

1 Like

well… it’s a lot of years since then. Wires may have been crossed, recrossed, clipped, spliced, and so on.

But otherwise - thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.