Why are restaurants louder than ever?

And why do we need a soundtrack everywhere we go? It’s not just restaurants. I’m afraid to live with my own thoughts, but not that afraid.

6 Likes

Nope. Anybody that works in tech knows this. If you talk about company stuff in a public environment, you become a scoop.

2 Likes

There’s a steakhouse chain “STK” that’s in NY, Orlando…Vegas…
It has a DJ. The major complaint about it is that it has a DJ.

4 Likes

Ghod help you if it’s a local team or big game when you don’t give a shit about sportsball and just want to get a meal.

I’ve had to make it a point to try to remember to check if there’s a game on before going out to eat so I don’t have to deal with that misery.

It’s not just the crowds, but the large groups of people cheering and yelling at the TV when the game is on.

4 Likes

As a quiet introverted American I find this offensive.

4 Likes
1 Like

I hear that. It’s always a bit of a shock to me when I’m in the US - sooooooooo much football! All the time!

1 Like

Football (and many football fans) are annoying but basketball is worse. Like, I know when the football season is, but basketball seems to be never ending.

3 Likes

i’m actually a bit relieved – i thought the answer was going to be that it’s too loud because i’m too old.

8 Likes

It’s always safe to just assume this is the reason.

3 Likes

Ha! Having never actually watched a basketball game before, I was shocked to be accidentally in Lawrence KS last year during some sort of playoffy thing. The squeaking! The infernal, constant squeaking of shoes on court floor damn near drowned everything else out, no matter how loud the bar or restaurant got…

4 Likes

So very, very off OT, but a favourite…

11 Likes

It’s a feature that I truly love. I have all my home remotes in my phone so when the dog steals them I can still turn things on and off.

Unfortunately, less companies are including IR blasters as a lot of remotes now work if the two items are on the same Wifi network.

2 Likes

yeah, that’s usually the case lately. but seriously, my husband and i been talking a lot about what we call the “early 21st century bar & restaurant design aesthetic” – entirely open concrete spaces, exposed ductwork and wiring conduit, accented with some distressed wood or snazzy metals like copper or brass. relatively inexpensive, and it looks ok, but it’s also super cheap to do.

4 Likes

I haven’t seen any actual user feedback for this app, but it looks like a step in a good direction.

I’ve got “TV Kill” on my phone. It’s basically a software implementation of a TV-B-Gone.

1 Like

Mario Batali started it with his restaurants. He wanted to bring the music from the kitchen out front, and make the dining room more lively. Anyway, blame Mario.

1 Like

go-sports-team

3 Likes

Also, Crocs.

3 Likes

I steer clear of loud restaurants. It’s just not fun eating with someone when you hear half the conversations from people 20 feet away. All because the room and kitchen have poor sound proofing as mentioned. I don’t get how anyone can handle such high noise levels and I say that as someone who’s worked with machines that stamped metal plates which were hella loud (had to wear ear plugs and over head ear protection just to prevent headaches from all the noise).

1 Like