Why are scammy lifetime subscriptions to online services still in the BoingBoing store?

I’m honestly not sure what has happened here.

21 Likes

I would totally understand if you flag most of the posts here as off-topic - your question is relevant and you have all the rights to try to get an answer without other happy mutants fooling around

11 Likes

No no, I’ve just been happy watching this.

8 Likes

7 Likes

8 Likes

Careful. We don’t want to turn the BB BBS into Quora.

2 Likes

Quora still exists? News to me

4 Likes

It will always exist. Guaranteed.

1 Like

Quora isn’t so bad. How LinkedIn ever lasted long enough to get acquired by Microsoft remains a mystery to me.

… and I hear it’s huge in India for some reason.

2 Likes

I don’t want to tell you what you should or shouldn’t do, but you might like to ask that question directly on the site. :wink:

2 Likes

“Quora isn’t so bad”

Said no one using the mobile app.
Said no one that ever tried to appeal an automated moderation decision.
Just saying!

2 Likes

“What’s the best camera for under 50,000?”

I hear Phase One has some lovely models. Why are you even bothering with an entry level Nikon?

Quora also has a horrible antisemitism problem.

1 Like

Quora has a troll problem and a spam problem that it might or might not be trying to address. We just don’t know because Quora also has a transparency problem, a product management problem, and a special privileges problem (example: investors/biz development employees are allowed to post inflammatory racist material without consequence, the Top Writer award goes to CEO cronies of “Adam DiCaprio” (the baby faced founder who still looks like he could be cast on 21 Jump Street)), and it has a user problem—basically they treat users like shit.

I’ve washed my hands of Quora. It’s sad because there are some great people in the user community there.

4 Likes

Also

7 Likes

Thanks. Interesting thread. In 2016, all the problems Quora had have gotten worse and they have more as they “improve the site”, i.e., make changes no one is asking for.

I bailed in early summer. I had conflict with Marc Bodnick, and after that I was continuously getting warnings and 2 week edit blocks on the most picayune stuff. It’s like being in an abusive relationship. Months later I wonder why I stuck around as long as I did.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 193 days. New replies are no longer allowed.