Why CRT monitors were better

giphy (7)

13 Likes

They stuck a camera down my throat to look for an ulcer, and the monitor was massive. I guess there are tv sets that big, but I’ve never seen one close up. If it was a crt, it would never have fit. Even as an LCD, the arm holding it was thick.

2 Likes

I splurged on a nice CRT with RGB inputs for my retro gaming needs.

13 Likes

I’m pretty sure my cats never forgave us when we transitioned to flat screens since they loved napping on top of the CRTs because of the warmth.

8 Likes

The one point of this entire article is the response time of CRT versus LCD displays. Yet nowhere in the article does the author state the response times of LCD monitors. Grrrr!!!

11 Likes

What I liked about CRTs was they had the hue saturation contrast knobs, perfect for making video feedback. Then I found these older Panasonic LCD screens that actually have those knobs also, very perfect for making video feedback:

8 Likes

This! If I lower my chair so that I don’t have to reach down for my keyboard, I have to reach up for my mouse. But it is an attractive built in desk, so I think it will outlast me.

1 Like

That was exactly the clip I was looking for but couldn’t find. Nice.

3 Likes

Yeah, have you ever tried taking an x-ray with an LCD? Can’t be done, but these CRTs are practically bleeding x-rays out the sides.

5 Likes

That man has lost his head by transitioning from CRT to LCD! :astonished:

3 Likes

I have a friend whose phone plays the degauss sound when he gets a text. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Razor thin flatscreen?

Can that plywood base handle the weight?

But at least the goats can climb on the LCD screen!

1 Like

Trinitron studio displays were gorgeous, but expensive. Even those little displays, 15" or so, cost about $4K back in the mid-1970s. The home versions of the Trinitron were pricey too, but if you wanted a bank of monitors, you wanted the studio version because you could drive the sync.

3 Likes

LG was making this argument for flat screens:

2 Likes

A 1-millisecond response time LCD screen that’s refreshed by the GPU every 12 milliseconds (80 Hz frame rate) will provide 7 milliseconds average latency, compared to the 6 milliseconds average latency of a CRT running at the same frame rate. Such a difference is down in the noise, although it is non-zero.

This millisecond could make the difference between winning and losing a match when you’re gaming at championship level, but it’s not going to matter when you’re just goofing off at home. And isn’t the point of gaming to goof off?

8 Likes

A warm CRT is also a good way to keep the cat off your keyboard.

4 Likes

Can’t do that with an LCD display.

15 Likes

They collect dust like crazy due to the static charges they generate.

I grew up with CRTs and I am here to say they are rubbish.

@Senorwences

Can’t do that with an LCD display.

Yes I can its on my LCD screen right now.

@Kaleberg

Trinitron studio displays were gorgeous, but expensive. Even those little displays, 15" or so, cost about $4K back in the mid-1970s. The home versions of the Trinitron were pricey too, but if you wanted a bank of monitors, you wanted the studio version because you could drive the sync.

Yeah the 2k by 2k Trinitrons we used in air traffic control were about 80000 dollars. In quiet moments I would darken the room and run xeyes on them, Freaked a few people out that way.

6 Likes