Why CRT monitors were better

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/13/why-crt-monitors-were-better.html

7 Likes

On a very narrow range of specific topics, CRT’s are superior. Motion blur issues, black colors (EDIT: I should add overall color clarity, though this still notoriously varied from monitor to monitor). On every other measure, they are vastly inferior. Size, weight, resolution, glare, power consumption, burn in/ghosting, etc., etc.

I would also toss in eye strain. My eyes always hurt after a day of computer work when I had CRT monitors. I don’t notice that with my LCD.

OLED will be even better, and I’m looking forward to those prices coming down.

21 Likes

CRT screens are much easier to clean. And the large bezels provide more space for Post-it notes.

And have you ever tried to warm your hands over an LED panel? Fuggetaboutit.

35 Likes

Not everyone has room for a old Trinitron hospital or tv station grade pvm monitor grabbed from a recycling center for their 90’s gaming setups.

7 Likes

I knew we should have put those 24" EIZOs in storage…
Why does nobody ever listen to me when I want to keep obsolete stuff?

17 Likes

easier to clean

Good point

Post-it notes

Ummm… welcome to the 21st century? I just plop my Post-it notes all over the desk like any normal professional.

warm your hands

Valid point. I liked to get my old, dual Sony CRT’s hot enough to cook hot dogs over them.

(note: true picture of old monitor repurposed as a fireplace)

9 Likes

Will people really buy these? My only tv is a 27’’ Trinitron (2002 model I think) that I’ve been meaning to upgrade to a flatscreen for the past 10 or so years. I’d give it away to anyone that’ll take it (only 100 lbs/ 40 kg)

4 Likes

I still have my Atari ST color monitor down in the basement. My brain remembers it as sharp and crisp colors. I expect that I’d be sadly disappointed if I hooked it up again. (The only thing I have to drive it with is a QIX arcade board, although Pis have a mode to turn most of the GPIO into RGB output if you add a resistor network.)

2 Likes

For about fifteen years I used a Commodore monitor as a tv set, a CAR after as the tuner.

I was glad to move to a new LCD set in 2011.

I’d gone LCD for the no time before that,. I found it on the sidewalk. I think a 15 inch, I gladly got rid of my Sony 19 inch CRT monitor. It was a monster, though I got it for free.

2 Likes

For something like 95 % of things, flat screens are superior to CRTs.

For anything involving having to carry one, the number goes up to 100 %.

23 Likes

Ohh, man, do I miss the degauss button!

23 Likes

meh

monitors are not all about gaming. cheap big LCDs have been a boon to CAD and 3D work. Motion blur is a non-issue.

And its literally changed office furniture industry - no longer are awkward corner oriented workstation to accommodate the deep CRT a thing - good bye.

13 Likes

In a cube farm, big, high-res monitors are unsustainable: too much power draw, and the magnets of four big-ass monitors back to back mess with each other horribly. And the desk space! the ability to reclaim two square feet of surface from a 25" monitor made it all worthwhile.

10 Likes

40" CRT TV/Monitor, Weight 286.6 lbs

40" Flatscreen TV Monitor assembled weight 14.55 lbs

12 Likes

That’s pretty swanky. I plugged my ST into the TV…

3 Likes

Yup, checks out

12 Likes

And some day, my office furniture will get upgraded.

14 Likes

Always good for freaking out colleagues who didn’t knew what it was for.

8 Likes

Hah. Right. I have some of those wooden in-box things. I put one behind my monitor for stuff I really should deal with but don’t have to deal with and maybe if I don’t deal with it will go away somehow.

Also, whoever designed this stupid corner desk thought you need a keyboard at an ergonomic height but the mouse like 6" higher and a foot to the side. What’s up with that?

4 Likes

Yes. Yes I have. But you have to replace the backlight first.

6 Likes