Making, Crafting, Creating... aka Whatcha workin' on?

Coffee table at the sanding/planing/varnishing stage:

And I got one end of the workbench trimmed off:

Time for a beer.

13 Likes

Still a bit more planing and sanding to do, but the benchtop is coming along nicely:

BTW: total materials for the bench were about sixty metres of construction pine and around a litre of glue. All up, roughly $320 (Aus dollars, equivalent to US$220).

Nothing but 90° crosscuts in it, too. Dead simple to make.

13 Likes

That’s a nice, solid-looking bench. I’m moving in a month and I think I might borrow your design for my new shop.

5 Likes

The joints are put together like this:

Just cut and glued 45x90’s (AKA metric 4x2’s). I deliberately made the joints tight when constructing the legs; the stretchers required a bit of fine tuning with the belt sander to make them fit.

It’s 1.4m long, 800mm tall and was originally 990mm wide…but then I realised that I needed more clearance to mount the vice, so I added an extra board on one side, which increased the width to 1035mm. But all of those dimensions are easily customised to suit; this was built to fit my height and my workspace. If it were any longer, I would have added another set of braces in the centre.

It’s just light enough to be moved by one person; I can’t lift the whole thing, but I can lift one end and “walk” it for short distances. I deliberately went for hyper-stability over portability; if I ever move house with it, I’ll definitely be paying a few beefy blokes to move it for me.

If you don’t need quite as much heft, flipping the benchtop boards onto their faces (i.e. a 45mm top instead of the 90mm version) would reduce the required timber by about 15m and make it substantially more portable.

13 Likes

There’s still a little tweaking I could do (adding bench dogs etc), but with the installation of the vice I hereby declare the workbench project complete:

EDIT:

First coat of varnish on the coffee table:

And a shelf for the workbench:

23 Likes

I’ve got an old house and like to have period-appropriate decor in some rooms, and I was inspired by an earlier article in Boing Boing about a design group building Amazon Echos into antique phones. So here’s my new phone project, which is just about complete:

I used an Echo Input for the project, which is a thinner version of the echo dot without a built in speaker. They’re nice and cheap, but I found that it was next to impossible to work on. The built in microphones are teeny tiny PCB surface-mount units and I figured there was no was I could solder wires to them without likely destroying the unit. Same thing for the indicator LED. So I went all analog Rube-Goldberg on the thing. I made a circuit with a light sensor and relay, so that when the LED goes on it triggers a retro looking bulb on top of the phone. I used parts from a stethoscope to remote the microphone input to the phone’s original microphone housing. And I wired the audio output through the original phone’s receiver switch so that when you pick up the receiver you hear the sound through that, and when you hang it up the sound goes to speakers in the old radio below the phone.

33 Likes

Damn. Respect!

10 Likes

Damn, I step away from this topic for a few weeks, and just look at all the cool stuff y’all were doing in the meantime!

7 Likes

All done:

22 Likes

I just wish I could figure out how to change the wake word to “operator.” The system lets you choose from “Alexa,” “Amazon,” or “Computer” but those are the only options. :frowning:

8 Likes

Apart from my somewhat bodgy spoon mule (which I had to leave behind in Sydney), that workbench and coffee table were the first time that I’ve ever made anything bigger than a bowl.

I’ve just started practising how to make mortice and tenon joints, in preparation for building my computer desk:

Not quite perfect, but good enough to work. Quite happy with it for a first-ever attempt.

15 Likes

How do you like your Ryobis? I’ve seen some good deals for power tool sets, and was thinking about getting one after reading some positive reviews, when I have the disposable income.

3 Likes

Mixed, but mostly positive.

They’re hobbyist-grade rather than professional kit, but they’re good value for the money. Cordless is essential for me, as I don’t have any power in my workshed.

Interchangeability of batteries is a major plus; I only have three batteries (one 2.5Ah, one 4Ah, one 5Ah), but those batteries run all of my power tools (drill, impact driver, circular saw, reciprocating saw, jigsaw, multitool, trim router, belt sander, detail sander, angle grinder, torch, worklight, shop blower, handvac, radio/bluetooth speaker, chainsaw, lawnmower, planer). Two of the batteries came with the 9-piece kit, one came with the lawnmower; the other tools I bought as skin-only models.

The only one that’s notably disappointing is the reciprocating saw; it’s pissweak. Which, presumably, is why Ryobi brought out a Mk2 version (which I would have bought instead, if I hadn’t got the saw as part of the nine-piece kit). It still does the job eventually, but it tends to jam frequently if you’re making it work hard on a cut that’s binding.

It would be nice if the circular saw was a smidge bigger; maximum depth of cut is 45mm, which is only just adequate when crosscutting the 45x90 construction pine I use.

I shelled out the extra for the brushless version of the chainsaw, but the rest of them are just the basic models. They all come with a four year warranty, extended to six years if you register them online.

9 Likes

After a few weeks in Australia, I came home to a garden choked with weeds. This is my poor garlic patch.

And after spending two hours weeding just this little patch:

Brocolli had bolted, but salvageable. Kohlrabi now the size of softballs so they’ll be a bit tough. A busy weekend ahead of me. Raspberry patch is next on the list.

17 Likes

Getting started on the computer desk:

18 Likes

This isn’t really “crafting”, but I’ve been playing around with DEMs (digital elevation models) made from lidar data covering my home area in Missouri. Made some cool images…

Boone County, MO, hillshaded 10-meter DEM, 20x vertical exaggeration. That’s the Missouri River along the southwest border.

Lidar-based hillshaded DEM of Stephens Lake & park, Columbia, MO. The detail is amazing!

Missouri River in central MO, 5-meter contours made from 10-meter DEM tiles:

My awesome state! 60-meter DEM showing elevations. The bright area is the Ozarks and the St. Francois Mountains. That is not missing data in the southeast corner! The Bootheel is very flat and low. It’s actually a part of the Mississippi Delta. The north end of Crowley’s Ridge is visible just inside the crook of the Bootheel.

21 Likes

Gardening counts as creating, right?

The husband’s wall makes my garden look much better

This is after the third thinning of the baby carrots, which are about 1"x1/8" and full of carrotty flavor already.

26 Likes

Gardening very much counts as creating!

17 Likes

Cutting the mortices on the legs of the desk:

14 Likes

Close-up of Missouri’s Bootheel (60-meter DEM, hillshaded, 10x vertical exaggeration) showing the Ozark Escarpment, the north end of Crowley’s Ridge, and old Mississippi River meanders:
bootheel-60M-hillshade

9 Likes