Show off your workshop!

Haha, I love this. No way does Tucker even know how to open a can of paint. But his work bench does look a bit more rustic than most who try to sell you on their dream.

Boing Boing should do a show me your workbench bit. Here’s mine…

43 Likes

Great idea!

Any happy mutants agree there should be a dedicated “Workbench” bbs thread? Upload a picture maybe?

Anyone know of such a thread?

15 Likes

My main tool storage for your amusement. I have another 2 big plastic bins in our storage locker, one for electrical crap and another for woodwork and locksmithing. My wife doesn’t complain about my bits and bobs because things actually get fixed.

12 Likes

Wearing plaid for that kind of photo op it’s considered normal cosplay, but you could give a different impression than the one planned:

no bad thing obvs, just not very… Republican.
And now for something completely different:

Stuff

some gunge laying around, but that’s normal also.

18 Likes

This is my workbench, where I do indeed keep my tools, but it’s not my workshop – there’s too much crap here to do any work. This is where I send ideas to purgatory ‐‐ e.g. “this cookie tin [upper left] would make a great enclosure for that circuit board I’m going to solder together!” said me in 2003.

16 Likes

I think there was one a couple years ago- maybe started by @Wanderfound? Or possibly @FGD135? I can’t find it now.

4 Likes

welp, y’all asked… (or mebbe not). here’s humble jefe’s home hobby hut, where I dabble in my printmaking, bookbinding, assemblage sculpture and the never-ending rigging and boat part repairs:

20 Likes

I dig the stairs!

It looks like a place they might’ve featured in ReadyMade.

8 Likes

ART TERM

READYMADE

“The term readymade was first used by French artist Marcel Duchamp to describe the works of art he made from manufactured objects. It has since often been applied more generally to artworks by other artists made in this way”

thank you! in keeping with that Duchamp theme, here is my take on Nude Descending Staitcase:

22 Likes

and as more stuff gets added, shop looks more used (because, unlike Fucker Swanson, it is used… for WORK)

edit: ok, I won’t keep spamming the thread.
sorry for that.

15 Likes

So many projects done here!

18 Likes

I was thinking of the magazine, though I’m guessing that it was named (at least in part) after Duchamp’s readymade.

5 Likes

Well, fascism and racism aren’t really work if you’re doing what you love…

/s

7 Likes

The Mercenary Garage…

00 Mercenary Garage Custom Motorcycle Workshop Honda SP1 Swingarm Conversion Picture Ro Hickey

20 Likes

I doff my hat sir! Where is the hat rack?
That much order and the pleasing arrangement of everything is glorious.

3 Likes

Please, spam to your hearts content! Any pictures of rigging work? You have a collection of fidds? Caulking mallet? Boat stuff?

5 Likes

Workshop / garage / cave

16 Likes

Is that Spike from Cowboy Bee Bop? Cool spot!

3 Likes

From the top:

• Two fids. Apple wood finished with pine tar and tung oil.
  • Marlinespike made from an old “perfect handle” screwdriver found at a garage sale.
  • Marlinespike made from a taper punch (alignment punch).
  • Two fids for splicing dyneema hollow braid. Made from the steel strips in windshield wiper blades.
  • Fid for splicing hollow braid. Made from a printer roller IIRC.

Soft shackles:

13 Likes

Glorious!!!

So the apple fids are for working traditional 3+ strand ropes like the punch/fid?

The marlin spike with the ergonomic handle guides the individual strands into the rope?

Dyneema is UV resistant polymer vs hemp or jute, I think, stronger than steel by weight and the modern standard for rigging? It has a complex weave with many strands so the windshield wiper fid is very narrow so it can be passed thru the hollow center; this allows friction to hold a knot fast?

The shackles are very light and strong and long lasting. Also if you have the tools and skills much much cheaper than buying parts from some sailing supply company online I think.

3 Likes