Watch how these simple planks transform into an incredible workspace within minutes

Originally published at: Watch how these simple planks transform into an incredible workspace within minutes | Boing Boing

2 Likes

What freaked me out was how fast he can change his clothes, like a ninja, but with clothes. Wow…

16 Likes

Looks cool but where are all the tools stored? For me, it would be a pain to have to spend a bunch of time setting up my workspace, do some work, then tear it all down again. Of course, as a result, my garage has a lot of tools hanging on the wall and in the drawers and cupboards of a built in workbench that is covered in various WIP projects. Yes, you’re right. I don’t/can’t park my car in the garage any more.

23 Likes

I assumed it took him several days to set everything up.

9 Likes

You missed the part about “ninja”. They don’t “set up” Dude…

2 Likes

Unfortunately for some us, we would never tear it down, and there would always be half finished projects on the table, waiting for glue to dry, waiting for a part to arrive in the mail, or waiting for us to brainstorm what the next move is.

23 Likes

I don’t see the advantage of this. A hinged fold-down work surface, with a board or a shallow cabinet on the wall to hang the tools, would be cheaper and faster.

edit: I’m referring to the subject of this topic, not to your setup. I can’t park my car in the garage either.

10 Likes

Yeah, is there a trap door to dump all the shit you were working on into it?

And where are all those tools stored? And how sturdy is that work platform - because it looks like “not very”.

But if it works for him, good for him, I guess.

10 Likes

When I saw that stuff on the wall at the start of the video I expected to see it fold down into a workbench with all the tools and stuff already in it. Like @Mister44 said, the workbench does not look stable. I suspect you couldn’t clamp a workpiece on it and plane and sand it without it falling over.

I hope somebody takes the basics of this design, makes it fold down and puts some upgrades in for stability and storage.

6 Likes

no part of me wants that… and I was just bitching yesterday about wanting a nice workspace. my folding tables are far more convenient that this puzzle. that said, it is a pretty puzzle.

2 Likes

The advantage is its ability to win online competitions.

10 Likes

All I have to say on the matter:

14 Likes

Keep thinking that all those little resting surfaces he laboriously places then packs could all be put onto one resting surface that’s bigger. I mean really a sheet of plywood and a couple of sawhorses give you much more stable working surface to rest tools on. Or just leave them on the pegboard around the perimeter permanently.

5 Likes

Wait, are ninja usually naked? No wonder they usually try to stay out of sight.

6 Likes

This seems overly complicated. I was expecting like a single pull and some amazing bench comes down but this seemed wobbly and a long time to set up. Also have to find and hide all your tools afterwards.

8 Likes

French cleats are great, but this seems like a lot of work for something you could do with a simpler setup. Like a couple of hinges and chains. Or, like, a rolling cart and a couple folding sawhorses. At least he got some joinery practice.

3 Likes

“Incredible” is doing a lot of work as a headline here. You can’t actually work with things on that work table, it’d fall over and endanger you. Can you imagine drilling something on it? Or hammering joints together?

2 Likes

Perhaps “incredible” is being used in the context of “hard to believe”

5 Likes

Can you imagine drilling something on it? Or hammering joints together?

Or even hand soldering 0603 electronic components…looks as shaky as an aspic.

On the plus side, the first bars of the music reminded me of The Durutti Column (it went downhill from there, though).

1 Like

As is the phrase “simple planks”. I saw no simple planks. I saw some empty boxes that could have been left on the wall with things permanently stored in them/hanging from them and which would still not have impeded a car being parked. I saw a couple of freestanding legs and a freestanding surface all of which could have been hinged to each other to fold flat against the wall, also leaving space for a car.

Honestly? This is a terrible, labour-wasting design.

What with that and the daft design distractions, maybe we all missed the gorilla walking through bouncing a basketball, which was probably the whole point of this otherwise pointless experiment?

9 Likes