Why do cellphones keep adding new Gs?

“Every few years, I have to be ready for the next wave of “g’s” like I’m a warden in San Quentin”

I do not think that means what you think it means.

Nope nope nope nope nope :octopus:

The problem with that approach is that wireless standards aren’t the only technologies that have evolved radically in the last 15 years. Safety engineering has also gone through huge improvements.

The body of a new car has undergone uncountable crash simulations that have resulted in better designed crumple zones to absorb the impact of more kinds of crashes. New cars have backup cameras to help avoid low speed tragedies. Almost all have ABS brakes to help avoid collisions. A new car now may have a dozen airbags compared to the two or four your old car probably came with.

Even if there’s nothing wrong with your old car, you can lower your statistical risk of personal injury just by driving a newer vehicle.

Have you actually done research that backs that up? Because motor vehicle deaths per billion vehicle miles traveled have pretty much leveled off in recent years.

Per NHTSA data, in the US in 2007 it was 1.36 fatalities per billion vehicle miles traveled, and in 2020 it was 1.34. So if you’re trading in functional older cars for new ones in the name of safety you’re not getting much bang for your buck.

Plus, even with backup cameras the enormous new cars are statistically killing more pedestrians so I don’t accept the idea that they’re way safer.

2 Likes

I bought my first smartphone in 2015, it is still going strong and still does the same things it did when I first got it.

I really don’t understand the non-problem you are describing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.