Why DRM'ed coffee-pods may be just the awful stupidity we need

The plan would be to sue anyone that sells competing pods.

Theyā€™re very good for places where people will randomly but infrequently want a single cup of coffee. My mechanic has one, and while theyā€™re not the worldā€™s best coffee, they are far better than a pot thatā€™s been sitting for who knows how long.

3 Likes

If you judge a device based on what their competitorā€™s products behave like, youā€™re doing it wrong.

To assume intelligence on the part of oneā€™s customer base seems like a risky proposition.

1 Like

I make pancakes out of Aunt Jemima pancake mix. Iā€™ve used both the original type (where you add milk and eggs and a dash of salt or whatever) and the ā€œCompleteā€ premix (where you just add water), and I canā€™t tell the difference between the finished products, so I go with the Complete premix. It doesnā€™t always save that much time and labor, but I have had a time or two when I wanted pancakes in the morning and found myself out of eggs or low on milk, and that was a bummer without the Complete premix.

1 Like

Youā€™ve made my day with that GIF, Jardine.

Though, with the cigarettes, thatā€™s more a picture of my dad than me. Dad was a Navy vet from WWII, so heā€™d picked up the habit of really strong coffee from late night watches at sea. One time when our family was heading off for a weekā€™s camping, he forgot to unplug and empty the almost-full electric coffee-pot. By the time we got back home, the contents had simmered down to a syrupy sludge. When a dollop of evaporated milk was poured in, the dollop curdled up into a lump and floated to the top of the coffee. Dad drank it anyway.

3 Likes

I have one. Single, white, working-class. I bought it as a gift to myself when I bought my house a few years ago. I am the only coffee-drinker in my house, entertain only occasionally, and felt it would be something that would pay for itself in the money saved by moderating my coffee consumption. Plus, Iā€™m a low-spoons person, even more so first thing in the morning. Win!

I burned through the sampler pack it came with, bought another, and quickly felt the guilt of throwing all that plastic away. I got one of the Keurig-brand refillable cups, and it pretty much stunk. A bit of research later, I bought a pair of the Ekobrew cups. Much better design, easy to clean.

Is it the best cup of coffee ever? No, of course not, but choosing my own grounds improves the cup I get tremendously. Is it quick, convenient, and mess-free? Yes. I like the thing, Iā€™m glad I bought it, itā€™s served me well in its function.

Will I upgrade to a newer model, after hearing about these shenanigans? Fuck no. I may have to start looking into this newfangled Aeropress all the kids are talking aboutā€¦

2 Likes

If you actually follow the links, it doesnā€™t look like they are using copyrightable DRM at all. Wired simply says that ā€œ[t]he approach has been compared to DRM restrictions that limit the sharing of digital music and video online,ā€ while The Verge piece they link to, in turn, says ā€œSo to ensure consumers stick with its own K-Cups moving forward, Green Mountain is implementing the physical equivalent of a DRM system with Keurig 2.0ā€.

Whether the ā€œDRMā€ is enforceable as a matter of copyright law is likely besides the point (just as it currently is with printer ink): itā€™s really an exercise in price discrimination. Those consumers who are willing to pay more to have official pods that are guaranteed to work well will. Those who are willing to use generic, ā€œhacked,ā€ or unofficial pods at a lower price and possibly of lower quality will also do so, while simultaneously taking advantage of a cheap coffee-maker/printer that was sold at a discount in order to encourage sales of official pods/ink. Those willing to spend more do, while those who arenā€™t willing to do so save even more.

We have one at home. The one use that we have found is essentially one of laziness. Generally when both of us wake up we are so brain dead that the simple act of making the morning cup of Joe can prove to be too challenging. so we tend to make a quick Keurig cup to wake us up enough to give us the mental acuity to make an actual pot of "realā€™ coffee.

2 Likes

Everyone in my house likes something different. I like tea, Mr. Bells takes his coffee black, and our daughter is only supposed to have decaf. When Iā€™d make a pot in the morning most of it got thrown away and I was tired of cleaning it out every day (sometimes twice if we had decaf too)

That being said, Iā€™ll hang onto this old Keurig as long as I can to avoid whatever stupid DRM they come up with.

3 Likes

My god, what a prescient cartoon. My wife and i are both self employed and work from home. we are unrepentant smokers and definitely take the quantity over quality approach to coffee. A day in which we drink less than four pots can be considered and ā€œslow day at the officeā€. :slight_smile:

For those discussing the possibility of a ā€œphone homeā€ approach hereā€™s something to consider; Rogue Coffee Key Management Server anyone?

Well, thereā€™s this:

Apparently 1/3 of Michelin starred restaurants are using the nespresso pod based coffee makers instead of hand made espresso.

Based on that, and to save money from stopping at a coffee shop for a $4 cappuccino twice a day, I bought a Keurig and a milk frother, and I think the result is pretty good. For sure this is a lot cheaper than the coffee shop, since pretty much anything would be.

There are more eco-friendly pods available with far less plastic, theyā€™re cheaper too.

Of course then DRM spoils everything. But it just seems there are so many ways around this, itā€™s going to be tough going for Keurig. I hope they waste all their shareholder value on this foolā€™s errand.

2 Likes

So many comments!! Boingerā€™s love their coffeeā€¦

Turning to DRM is a likely sign that Keurig is out of other ideas on how to innovate.

Some market numbers are showing pod based coffee sales growing from $130M in 2008 to over $3B in 2013. That is no small hill of beans!

Undoubtedly with that much money, an epic battle is brewing. A multi $B opportunity will attract lots of competition, and surely Kā€™s shareholders are asking management, ā€œHow are you doing to defend our market share?ā€.

DRM! Thatā€™s how! We have no better ideas for how to make our customers delighted and therefore loyal, so letā€™s sue the bastards trying to take them away from us! Thatā€™s going to be a lot easier than actually having to be clever.

2 Likes

I will confess to owning and occasionally using a Flavia single-cup machine. It is called to service whenever:

1. Iā€™m out of regular coffee -or-
  2. I have a visitor who I know isnā€™t into my preferred syrupy-thick, obsidian-dark coffee -or-
  3. My brain isnā€™t really up for the whole bean dance and just needs a quick fix

The coffee it produces is actually not all that bad. I mean, itā€™s brown, itā€™s warm, it tastes coffee-like, it has caffeine. Brewing consists of clipping a packet in the dispenser and punching a button. Cleanup consists tossing the spent packet. Whatā€™s not to like?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.