Why Internet voting is a terrible idea, explained in small words anyone can understand

No doubt we need to get people to vote. Making it easy and secure is always going to be a problem.
Voter fraud and hacking the vote will happen.
I think we should make Election Day a Holiday so it is easier for people to get out to a polling place and vote, if even by paper and pen.

3 Likes

Except that trying to game the system with mail-in ballots (or in-person paper ballots) is a lot of work for very low returns. In a district with 100,000 votes, each “bad” vote only carries the weight of 0.001%. Very few elections are within such a small margin. That’s why all of the hand-wringing over in-person “voter fraud” is silly. Why would a single individual risk jail time/fines when their vote only counts as 1 one-thousandths of the total votes in their district.

An electronic voting system can flip an entire election with a single command.

4 Likes

It could… but setting aside a few double-digit population counties (because they have no nursing homes!), it wouldn’t be likely, and even a VERY dim, VERY passionate fraudster would be daunted by the odds.

Consider a county of 1,000 people, 100 of whom are residents of the East Bumwad County Home for the Senile and Comatose. Personally swaying 10% of the vote might make the difference in a tight election for East Bumwad Sheriff, but can you do it without getting caught? Of course not. It’s a matter of public record who votes, and even if your nursing home residents were legally entitled to vote, it would raise giant statistical red flags if they did, out of proportion to the normal population. The loser in the election only needs to find one definitively comatose voter to start the investigation that ends with you in federal prison for a very long time.

Now consider L.A. County, which clocks in at about 10,000,000 people. Would your nursing-home shenanigans go undetected here? Well… no, probably not, but maybe they’d be less likely to. But now your 100 stolen votes are only 1/100,000th of the total votes cast. “Lizard People” gets more write-in votes in most elections that size.

Long story short, there is no happy medium in here where the risk and reward match up. That’s a good thing! And it’s why fraudulent voting (as opposed to fraudulent denial of voting, via voter caging or frivolous challenges or false affadavits, etc.) is one of the least-committed crimes on the books.

The nub of it is that just because a crime COULD be committed, doesn’t mean that it will, or that the system should make itself less workable overall just to further discourage the possibility that someone might decide to break the law.

3 Likes

Ambiguous: cursor mark on “YES,” red “X” on “NO.” Voter intent unclear.

BALLOT REJECTED

9 Likes

I agree that using fraudulent mail-in ballots is not an efficient way to swing an election (especially compared to an e-voting system). Mail-in ballot fraud seems better suited to small personal things, like eliminating the vote of your politically differing spouse, or your crazy old aunt living upstairs. I expect there are people who wouldn’t dream of in-person fraud who could rationalize this to themselves.

Mail-in ballots are also subject to vote buying or coercion (again, not a good way to change the outcome of the election, since buying/bullying your way to enough votes to make a difference is hard to keep secret – but still something that an ideal system would prevent).

Oregon has had mail only voting for years, any issues? Don’t Washington and Colorado too, now? Any problems there?

There have been high-profile cases in the UK - but they’re high profile because they were caught…

The concern in the UK has mainly been that one person in the household would commandeer everyone’s votes.

1 Like

I’m by no means an expert on blockchain technology, but my understanding is that it’s a publicly shared ledger of transactions (or in this case votes) that doesn’t reside on any single server. Instead anyone who installs the blockchain software would become a part of the network and have a copy of the ledger themselves. As people submit their votes to the blockchain, other users on the network would authenticate the integrity of the blockchain. So if someone tried to submit a bogus entry that was trying to alter a previous entry in the blockchain, that would quickly get rejected.

As for secrecy, I believe you could randomly poke around the ledger and see votes, but you wouldn’t know who cast them unless you could pair up the transaction id, which only the user who made the vote would know.

Again, I just have a passing bit of knowledge regarding blockchains, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I’m curious if someone with a deeper knowledge of this stuff thinks this could be a good marriage of technology. Problems I foresee would be, what is the benefit to running the blockchain software to the end user, other than a sense of civic duty? With most cryptocurrencies, users are monetarily rewarded for helping to verify transactions. Also, what happens if some single entity gained more than 50% control of the network? Theoretically they could change the blockchain how ever they wanted… would this be likely to happen in a non-compensatory blockchain?

1 Like

There are multiple ways of “stealing” a vote - you don’t have to be as obvious as casting a vote as someone who didn’t actually vote - particularly for a reason that would obviously be a matter of record.

You can also make casual conversation about the election in the months leading up, on which basis you decide whose mail to accidentally lose behind the filing cabinet.

(Also - who’s going to investigate this alleged voting fraud - the sheriff? Conveniently enough, he’s my brother.)

That has always seemed to me one of the most likely (low-tech) vote fraud scenarios in any kind of mail-in or internet voting scenarios: “be the abusive spouse of a the registered voter”

It depends how it’s implemented. On one hand you have the situation in Florida during the 2000 US presidential election. On the other hand you have ballots that looks like this one, which is similar to what I used when I voted in the last presidental election (though I don’t live in Minnesota.)

IMO using computers to print out ballots with the chosen candidates/issues marked uniformly (both in human-readable and machine-readable formats like a QR code or the circles processed by OMR software) is the sweet spot. The human voting can read the human readable information to confirm that the ballot accurately reflects their desires (and if they have a QR code app on their cell phone, they could check the machine readable information too.) The computer system tallying the votes can read the machine readable information to get an accurate count quickly. If there’s a recount, both formats can be checked to ensure they match. No hanging chads, no partially filled circles, no offices with more circles filled than allowed, etc.

Identity itself is a terrible idea which should be disentangled from politics. Where one defines an “identity” is more or less arbitrary. How about when a collective of organism work under a single identity? How about when numerous identities together comprise a “single” organism?

Politics, not unlike other choices and decisions, work better when they are not framed as problems with a fixed personal frame of reference. People need to dispose of anything being a “personal problem” before they can make effective decisions.

Humans ARE networks.

Except for this particular vote. This one is OK.

5 Likes

Okay, but for what it’s worth, the current system has safeguards for lost (or “lost”) ballots. If you don’t get one by such-and-such a date, you can contact the authorities and get another one, or do drop-in voting (in most vote-by-mail jurisdictions). If Shady Acres Seniors’ Home mail keeps getting lost, you’re as vulnerable to being caught as if you’d forged ballots.

As for the prospect of investigating vote tampering, I think you’ll find that it’s well above the pay grade of a county sheriff. State election boards and the FEC and/or FBI would get involved, likely with a furious vengeance if they thought they’d actually get to nail someone for mass fraud.

Again–I don’t deny that people could attempt to commit this crime. I do think that many cycles’ worth of elections in many states and jurisdictions outside the US show that it works very well and gives more people access to the vote than would otherwise have it. The infinitesimally small and ineffective examples of the former doesn’t mean we should give up on the benefits of the latter.

1 Like

Is Internet Voting a Terrible Idea?

• Yes
  • No
  • Sometimes
  • Princess Pricklepants
  • All of the Above
  • All of the Following
  • I agree with Nick
  • It depends
  • I, for one, welcome our social media campaign overlords
  • Can you explain, using small words I can understand?
  • Other

0 voters

2 Likes

10 Likes

Better answer:

1 Like

The fears about rogue apps, platform-level hijacks, or hackerz compromising communication channels sounds really simple-minded (almost dishonestly so). Where’s the mention of cryptographic techniques that voters could use to not only verify their votes were received, but received untampered with?
The discussion of “do we trust the people writing the software we use” is WAY bigger than just voting-related. Hell, why not stoke paranoia about rogue Chinese chip-fabrication labs creating processors that will override software and deliver the votes China wants?

Or why not have mail-in paper ballots? Like what fucking works now?

Fine, do your blockchain stuff, make it easily navigable by the public and have an auditable process between the secret part of the ballot and the reception of the ballot.

Or do mail-in paper ballots like a goddamned reasonable polity.

1 Like

I fully expected that result!

3 Likes

Me, too!

(She’s got my vote.)

2 Likes

Irregularities in online voting can be detected if they differ from a sample group just like the current opscan + ballot box combo.

I would say voting is ‘a terrible idea’ until we have something to vote for (instead of somebody).