Why is boxing still a sport?

More tap outs than knock outs.

1 Like

Very impressive data, thanks for the links.

Just scanning those reports it seems far more dangerous to travel with the teams than play any of those sports. Indirect deaths for basketball for example are over 7 per 100K, none of the sports approach that in terms of direct deaths per 100K players. I assume that’s because it’s a winter sport, and there are a lot of games so there’s a large number of chances to die in a vehicle accident?

Impressive that death rate for MMA is so low though.

The Hunger Games seems to be a total rip-off of Battle Royale, which I have only seen in Japanese with subtitles (was it ever translated?). Teenage school kids on an island with randomly distributed weapons being monitored from a central control room must fight to the death.

2 Likes

Because, like any combat sport, it is the purest test of one person´s strength, skill and determination against another´s (although it´s far less interesting than MMA i.mo.)

1 Like

Every year a certain number of people drop dead playing basketball, especially high school kids with undetected heart problems.

Not everywhere. It’s been banned in Norway since 1981, and attempts to ban it in the UK continue to crop up.

1 Like

Like anything else that’s declared illegal and gets banned, it goes underground, becomes even more dangerous for everyone involved, and the only winners are the criminal element.

3 Likes

“… or maybe they just like to fight.”
-The Checkered Demon

Don’t you think the steroids and other drugs took at least as much a share?

4 Likes

Yep. More than a fair share at that, too.

Pressure to look the part with steroid use, to hide injuries and concussions and to work through pain, a brutal travel schedule, little or no time for rest and recovery… physically and mentally punishing stuff.

3 Likes

To be fair, there was almost no actual plot or character development in the movie, it was nearly pure “exploitation” cinema. At least in HG she did try and invent a real built out world that played by these rules. There was a lot more to it than “kids fight to the death”.

Time to scrap it and re-implement from scratch.

Why is boxing still a sport?

Because stupid people like fighting sports.

Doctors universally say boxing should be banned. Your move.

FWIW Australian football has recently implemented concussion rules that say if a player is deemed to have suffered anything even approaching a concussion they are not allowed to play for the rest of the game. Sport can always be argued to be pointless, but I say that ones in which the express purpose is to physically disable your opponent are even worse than pointless.

Also, the fools repping the safety record of MMA have drunk or are selling the kool-aid. By the numbers there are far more people competing in boxing across the world and I’d argue the impact of MMA is not so heavy on the fighters, it’s on the dribbling morons who watch the stuff and the people around them as the moronic roid-fuelled ‘do u even lift bro?’ crowd are undoubtedly inspired by MMA in part and are much more likely to commit actual violence. Fighters, at least, tend to keep it in the ring.

2 Likes

Join the club. How anyone can find boxing to be more interesting and captivating to me than, say, something like this is beyond me. Simple things, simple minds I guess.

1 Like

The central problem for boxing is standing eight counts. If the guy has been concussed, stop the fight. Don’t stand him up, wipe off his gloves, count to eight and throw him back in with another professional fighter who is not wavering on the edge of consciousness.

To all the people who want to ban dangerous sports. Relaaaaax. Won’t somebody think of the… fully self responsible, consenting adults. There are plenty of ways to get concussed outside of pugilism.
ZOMG but the intention is to hurt one another. It’s just so, so uncivilised.

You should see the furore that erupts if a fighter tries to land a strike after the bell. There is a clear delineation based on consent. The type of violence that happens outside of the agreed-to terms is qualitatively different and fighters have been fired from organisations and fined heavily by the athletic commissions for not recognising this differentiation.

Boxing probably does need some tweaking if it’s to become acceptable, given modern understanding of concussion and specifically the terribly deleterious effects of multiple concussions. But I think this just means stopping the fight at the same stage as an MMA or Kickboxing bout. If your eyes flicker for even a moment, and you are ‘in trouble’ fight’s over.

Hey! I resemble that accusation. :frowning:

4 Likes

I appreciate your facts-based assessment of the issue.

1 Like

If you engage with the fight-sport community, you’ll find a large number of the fans consider these issues very seriously and in depth. There are, however, always going to be the people like this guy, who care little for the fighters well being.

4 Likes

This one doesn’t —no-one forces them into the ring. If you believe there needs to be a high bar to abolish activities between mutually consenting adults, then it’s difficult to justify a ban on boxing.

That said, I can’t and won’t watch them do it to themselves. Every time I see a shot like that I imagine the diffuse axonal injuries that are slowly accumulating … :frowning:

7 Likes