Why is boxing still a sport?

[Permalink]

1 Like

You answered your own question.

10 Likes

Same reason why people are encouraged to fight over resources with magic paper? Because many people like weird, primitive rituals, and contrived conflicts.

1 Like

Brutal.

7 Likes

Because people will still pay to see it, and it is not illegal.

3 Likes

“If you want a picture of the future, imagine a glove punching a human face - forever. Here, this looped gif should cover it.”

20 Likes

Because you can make more money getting punched in the face and developing brain diseases than teaching. Works for the NFL too.

21 Likes

Drama? I couldn’t care less about sports, and if I were to start watching them, boxing is one of the least likely ones I’d try. But yet, I own four movies about boxing. Granted, I own a hell of a lot of movies, but I think I’ve got only one other sports film.

2 Likes

Because it’s safer than MMA?

2 Likes

Sirs:

Jesus Christ! Did you see that Foreman/Clooney fight? If wrinkles must be written upon our brows, let them not be written upon the heart. Bright youth passes swiftly as a thought. Shit! What a fight!

-Joyce Carol Oates

National Lampoon, June, 1990

6 Likes

I can get behind the hate with bull running and the sort, but there is consent all over this, and like it or not, it’s a sport. The won’t somebody think of the children angle is the same that came around when that f1 video was posted, and it’s a bit boring.

Here’s marcos maidana doing some magic tricks.

9 Likes

Why is anything still a sport? If you think about any of them too hard its all ultimately pointless. And I remember reading something a few years back about how competitive chearleading was the sport causing the most injuries to students.

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s not like (American/Canadian/Australian) football is all that healthy either, with all the concussions the players get.

3 Likes

I used to think the same thing, until I started boxing. There is a lot more to it than 2 people beating each other to a pulp. Frankly, there is a great deal of strategy and tactics involved. Sure people get hurt but people get hurt doing a lot of things they enjoy. Is it tough? Yes! Is it physically demanding? Definitely! Does it hurt? Yep!

But, the training and skill involved is amazing. If you have never tried it, you have absolutely no idea what it takes.

19 Likes

Part of its charm is that it has the constant champion vs underdog narrative and rags-to-riches biographies. And there’s the real life stories of failure and redemption as people lose their title and come back. And there’s none of this cliche “We won this as a team. All our people gave 110% out on the field today,” or players at some soccer game flopping around on the ground faking an injury.

5 Likes

[quote=“Ryuthrowsstuff, post:12, topic:49851”]Why is anything still a sport?[/quote]“To Yossarian, the idea of pennants as prizes was absurd. No money went with them, no class privileges. Like Olympic medals and tennis trophies, all they signified was that the owner had done something of no benefit to anyone more capably than everyone else.” -Joseph Heller, Catch 22

Or alternatively: “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports. . . All others are games.” -Ernest Hemingway

[quote=“Brainwerx, post:14, topic:49851”]There is a lot more to it than 2 people beating each other to a pulp.[/quote]And yet, the person who fails to beat the other to a pulp is the inferior boxer.

6 Likes

Then there’s Gaelic Football. From what my cousins tell me fracture bones aren’t just a risk, they’re sort of the point. They claim American Football is for pansies because you wear pads and there are rules against kicking and punching. Then there’s Hurling. Its like field hockey with an extra murder. They bill it as “the fastest field sport in the world”. Rock hard ball travelling at around 100 mph and you aren’t allowed to wear a helmet. Wearing a cup is considered shameful.

5 Likes

For 100,000 years of human existence we’ve been killing each other for stuff. That’s unlikely to change any time soon.

4 Likes

Sheesh, how could hitting someone in the head (while wearing special gloves that allow you to hit people harder) until they develop permanent brain damage not be a sport? It’s the sport of gentlemen, no less.

8 Likes

the true sport of gentlemen would be Chess Boxing.

6 Likes