Why Japan can't compete with Apple and Samsung

Check out the power supply board.

The Nintendo DS sold nearly 154 million units worldwide.

And if you look at the US, itā€™s 17m PSPs vs nearly 60m DSs.

And the Vitaā€™s been doing so badly outside Japan that thereā€™s some question as to whether Sony will keep translating the games.

Sure, the DS beat the living shit out of the PSP. But that doesnā€™t mean the PSP was a failure.

1 Like

the big three mobile telcos here did not use mutually interoperable emoji for years

Somewhat correct. My recollection is that Docomo supported more than Softbank or au, but there was a subset that worked on all phones (basically any of the au emoji would work on all phones, but some of the docomo ones werenā€™t viewable or usable on au phones). My point was that actual graphic emoji was supported in japanese sms and mobile emails while we were still using these guys - : )

I believe you are mistaken about the chargers. I specifically remember there being 3 types for sale in kombinis that would suit almost any phone on the Japanese market. The only exception to the rule was for a very small number of domestic phones and foreign-made mobiles which had basically no penetration in the Japanese market at the time. I met precisely one person who had a nokia, and this is when everyone in the west was rocking a nokia.

This product features two of the connectors I remember. http://item.rakuten.co.jp/keitai/43-909635/

Also worth pointing out that Iā€™m talking pre-iphone (which has now added two more annoying and unnecessary connectors to the list).

As was I. In all seriousness though, both Docomo and AU and Vodaphone (pre SoftBank) had more variants than in that chart. My only source for this is my memory of my experience here having moved here in 97.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.