Why modern phones are so awful

Eh, I’m a little spoiled. I roll into work at 4pm, there is one other person in the office, my partner. She doesn’t speak to other humans unless necessary (we do phone support, the irony isn’t lost on me).

I spend about five minutes marking the 300 network status change alerts in my email inbox. I then gloss over the 100 or so intra-office emails from the day shift talking about employee fun stuff that’s all scheduled before I even wake up much less arrive into the office. Then I read the two or three emails with relevant information to me.

Then I hop on the phone queue and wait for phonecalls from desperate restaurant managers who need to get their Kronos account unlocked etc. My partner heads home at 7PM. I then work in the completely vacant building for the next 5 hours.

By about 10PM I’ll image some replacement PCs, and work on my projects, but always must stay within reach of the phone in case there’s an emergency in Hawaii or Guam.

It’s a job designed to make me look lazy. Nobody seems to know I even exist.

8 Likes

In the Age of Cloud, we are all mainframe users. Embittered, too…

2 Likes

I guess it’s better than missing the point.

1 Like

Well I was only half serious, but while we are on this topic, yes indeed separation of layers is generally a good thing. However, I was not strictly talking about this. I was more referring at how did we derived this separation. This was not something predesigned into the system. Rather it evolved. There are vestiges of presentation layer all over HTML for example. Also, nothing in concept of layer separation dictates that it needs to be done using five different syntax conventions. There are benefits of having a tailor made language for each as well as drawbacks.

In bigger picture, if you engineer solution from ground up you can get to a certain level of quality more quickly, i.e. optimal solution to a particular problem. However, it will be just a solution to that one particular problem. Systems that are open to evolution are more adaptable. We can repurpose them and build on top of them more easily.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.