Why race is not a thing, according to genetics

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/20/why-race-is-not-a-thing-accor.html

12 Likes

Welp, this should be a fun thread. Let’s get this party started, shall we?

Race is NAWT a thing, even though it’s a thing that does have real power in shaping our lives and identities - some people more than others.

pee-wee-eating

35 Likes

There is only one human “race” - which means, species - and that is homo sapiens sapiens. “Race” is a sociopolitical construct used by a few to maintain power over many. Thank you for this article, which helps tear down this awful worldview.

22 Likes

And the alt-reich arrive in 3…2…

11 Likes

I’ll take a stack of genetics research and 5 bucks to a Starbucks - which one do you think will get me a cup of coffee?

2 Likes

Only if you whistle.

25 Likes

We aren’t dogs, in case you haven’t noticed.

13 Likes

I’ve heard it’s a dash between the dates.

8 Likes

If you call Starbucks coffee, I guess… :wink:

9 Likes

21 Likes

More of a condiment, really :wink:

(is it time for Goldblum, or do we save him for later?)

Quite funny!

Wait… did you just out yourself as a puppers?

hidden-doggo

20 Likes

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. But sometimes it’s not.

When is a mongrel a breed? When Dog Fancy Magazine says it’s a Labradoodle.

6 Likes

Reminds me of a miniature controversy of a Metal artist I like a while back. There was a song people were accusing of being racist, which was entitled, “A scream to express the hate of a race”.

The artist clarified helpfully, “I am not a racist, I was referring to the human race”.

lol. So metal! What other scene can you find people like this?

2 Likes

I’m a dog! Always was! And I like cats, too. And lizards, amphibians & most birds and fish.

Arf!

6 Likes

Yes, it is. What breeds exist, and which dogs belong to which breeds, are questions decided by humans in accordance with rules made up by humans, in

a breeding paradigm that is, at the very least, a bit anachronistic in light of modern genetic knowledge, and that first arose out of a pretty blatant misinterpretation of Darwin and an enthusiasm for social theories that have long been discredited as scientifically insupportable and morally questionable.

(Stephen Budiansky, The Truth about Dogs.)

All domestic dogs are the same species, and are commonly held to be the same species as the dingo and the grey wolf.

11 Likes

dog-treats

17 Likes

oie_NoDRg8OY9qEi

12 Likes

Oh I see, you’re just asking questions, right?

Nudge nudge, wink wink, fuck off fuck off

14 Likes