Why Sanders is still campaigning, in eight sentences

oh, hadn’t seen this. Thanks for saying.

You might do well to note the changes to the Superdelegate system since Hillary’s last loss, the one to Obama. There are more of them now, and it was her peoples idea. Prior to her prior loss, they were essentially meaningless. Now they have meaning.

I see this as her own petard, really. Maybe she gets hoisted, maybe not.

But her win is not actually inevitable. Might be without those changes made 8 years back. What happens if she gets her ass handed to her in CA? What would happen under the old system? Who led that change?

3 Likes

Gold Man Sax?

I can’t have been the first one to make this joke…

9 Likes

See, this is what I’m talking about:

Clinton delivered some scathing lines about Donald Trump in a speech. But delivering scathing lines about Trump is what people have been doing since last August. Give people something to vote for not just something to vote against. Please. Please don’t let Donald Trump become president and then pretend it’s Sanders’ fault.

12 Likes

Because nobody told the idioit he could give the money back?

Since you seem to know the subject, can you please explain if there is any “new technology” now or on the horizon to deal with the issue of waste from nuclear reactors. That to me is actually a much bigger issue.

4 Likes

ITA with you, but wanted to point out that that’s the mirror opposite of what has happened to the Republican party.

3 Likes

I don’t think it’s either or, though. As much as we can pick apart the GOP for all their (many, many) faults, the Dems were clear partners in creating this political landscape too. But I think the GOP is far less big tent and more about defining what they’re against than what they’re for lately. They seem to run on fear and hate of some undefined other, which is a deeply dangerous thing. It’s created Trump, of course. They’ve unleashed scary shit like this:

And then claim to not understand how stuff like this could have happened. Whether this was a plan (something I doubt because that implies fore thought and planning as opposed to just reacting) or not is up for debate, but here we are. The Dems role in all this is constantly rolling over due to a “do nothing” congress, while ignoring their base, because where else are we going to go?

Honestly, it feels like we’re in a political death spiral and the only thing that is going to bring us out is some clear thinking and some honestly, none of which either party can actually give us lately.

5 Likes

6 Likes

I mailed my ballot for Sanders in CA. I expect to vote for HRC after we get to WA.

Politics in my family have been practiced to Sanders’ left for four generations.

Whenever I read about HRC’s unfavorables, I remember the systematic attacks against her since 1992 by the “vast right wing conspiracy” of AM radio and Fox News.

There were brigades of cynical professional staff from right wing think tanks, corporate grifters, fascistic congressional committees, special prosecutors and corporate media.

Even in her “first lady” role, HRC was targeted and slandered as somehow an almost metaphysically evil person in U.S. politics despite her mild centrism.

And those coordinated attacks happened at a time when the working voter left was beating a cowardly, disorganized retreat from cultural wedge issues and the racist, evangelical Reagan coalition zealots.

I remember those attacks against HRC when the new, new leftists speak uncharitably about her work and her record.

She survived all of it. The GOP is rightly frightened by HRC’s experience and strength.

12 Likes

We already have the technology to deal with the waste, in fact there’s no such thing as nuclear waste really, it’s just more fuel. Some of it might need to be stored somewhere for a bit, but a lot of it can be reprocessed straight away and most of the waste from that is more radioactive (i.e. shorter lived - a good thing), and can be reprocessed again if needed. Multiple forms of new reactor designs use waste in various ways (both in fusion and fission).

1 Like

Could you expand on that a bit? What percentage of nuclear waste is being recycled until what is left is safe, and what percentage is buried?

2 Likes

That’s true, but HRC is currently at net -16% (fav - unfav, +40% among Democrats), while she was at -5% (+55% among Democrats) at the end of last summer. The big swing during the last 9 months, especially among Demorats, is not due to the decades of relentless pounding from the right, it is due to her own cynical campaign. The same thing happened in 2008.

David Brock, for example.

6 Likes

How do you know?

If she really felt cynical, she could be doing a lot of other things with her time.

She’s not a supervillain.

2 Likes

Because if anything they’ve pounded less on her (until the last few weeks) than at other times; they were too busy pounding on one another.

I said the campaign was cynical. But what else could she be doing with her time that would help her become President?

1 Like

Some say everyone who settles and takes money from a comfortable job at a corporation or a university is cynical. Or weak. Contemptible.

They could have been doing more to resist Nixon’s and Reagan’s war mongering. Or fight welfare reform. Or WTO. Or supporting Occupy. Instead, they make excuses. Rationalize. Collaborate.

I’ve come to think that’s an uncharitable view.

Now I have no idea what you’re talking about.

I’m talking about why I feel respect for HRC and will vote for her if she wins the nomination.

I plan to do the same, but that doesn’t mean I think she has run a good or wholesome campaign. (Though it is better than the one she ran 8 years ago, when her campaign sunk to coded racist language at the end.)

There are many people who have found far less comfortable ways to work for political causes.

I only wish I could vote for the HRC from her mid-20s, after her conversion to progressive politics but before her turn back to the right and corporatism. Alas, that is an age bracket that her surrogates this year have been especially contemptuous of.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.