Why The Spirit was the best movie of 2008

…nope.

2 Likes

The whole “click bait” accusation. FFS, can we just:

Finally! Someone with some sense. I LOVED The Spirit. The fact that Frank Miller was going to direct it I knew I had to watch.

I never understood the hate for this movie. Nor did I understand how anyone thought, “Oh this isn’t like Sin City at all, I hates it.” The only thing I can think of is because Frank Miller directed it. Anywho…

Seriously its worth of the price of admission just seeing Samuel L. in full SS regalia. Except for the recent Avengers movie I can’t think of any Samuel L. movies worth seeing in the last ten years. If somebody says Snakes On A Plane…

Love this movie.

Every time I bring this movie up to friends to see if they want to watch it, I get the tried and true, “Yuck. That movie sucks.” Of course I ask with the obvious follow up question, “Have you seen it?” And the answer is usually a resounding, “Um, no. But I heard it sucks compared to Sin City.”

Its not Sin City. Sit. Watch. They love it, we share tissues. Then i take UNDER THE SKIN from the shelf. “Have you seen this movie?”

Can we let it go? I dunno, but find out in my upcoming article “The Ten Best Reasons Letting Something Go Will Lead to the Apocalypse: Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Call ‘Baby Geniuses’ the Best Movie of its Decade”.

1 Like

The Samaritan is pretty good.
I’m not sure if I’m comfortable liking Unthinkable or not, but SLJ is very good in it.
I think Cleaner is underrated, even if Harlin is a hack.

Also, I would argue that The Winter Soldier is a better SLJ movie than The Avengers.

Yup. “It’s Satire, you proles!” doesn’t excuse a badly made film.

Nor did I understand how anyone thought, “Oh this isn’t like Sin City at all, I hates it.”

Probably because that’s not the reason why most people hate it, especially fans of the original comic.

3 Likes

Django Unchained. SLJ’s character is over-the-top offensive, but the movie is certainly worth seeing.

More OT, I don’t recall much from this movie with the exception of SLJ melting some kittens. Suffice it to say, I’ve seen Shaw Brothers movies that had more memorable stories.

I love Frank Miller and I love The Spirit. I really wanted to like that movie, but did not.

1 Like

The Spirit was one of the absolute worst movies of the decade. I was so bad I wish I hadn’t seen it. Just horrible.

To call the characters cardboard is to insult a useful packing material.

http://www.rogerebert.com/reviews/the-spirit-2008

3 Likes

I was bored by this movie and couldn’t watch to the end. Over the top? Yes. Funny? Not for 103 minutes, no. Reminded me of the ‘Machete’ movies in the sense that they’re great 3-minute trailer material but don’t stretch well.

1 Like
1 Like

Do you still love Frank Miller?

The last decade has been… . difficult.

Honestly, I’ve had trouble with everything since Robocop III.

I love how his work looks but I greatly dislike the content.

1 Like

I was right with you until you dissed Denver.

Take it back.

Denvers are cool, I was exclaiming about the contextual incongruity in the BG-Beatles movie.

I honestly haven’t read anything recently. But that is ok. Even if he produced nothing but shit for the rest of his life, he holds a special place in my heart for the stories he has written.

Did anyone see the story about him in Wired? He looked like 80 and his nose was crooked. WTF happened?

Pretty Lights (a Ft. Collins band (Ft. Collins is a city just outside of Denver, CO)), remixing a John Denver song? I have underestimated his sense of humor.

I can get on board with this article only under the condition that it is in the spirit of demolishing serious culture

2 Likes

Listening to his opinions doesn’t help, but as with other creatives (with questionable opinions) it makes them a lot easier to compartmentalize when the creative output is stellar.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.