Watch as the Ghostbusters franchise gets even more fractured

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/21/watch-as-the-ghostbusters-fran.html

3 Likes

Saw that a week ago and was feeling a big but why about it.
The reboot was fun and I was glad they did a new story with the same premise.
However as fun as the original was it does not need another sequel.

23 Likes

I want Ghostbusters - The Musical

9 Likes

No one has said anything about even trying to reunite the OG cast. No one has said much of anything at this point. But it’s never too early to start drumming up controversy.

But considering how long “Ghostbusters 3” was tossed around, and the poor box office performance of the last film, it seems not at all unreasonable to suggest that this thing is going to be dead in short order. Remember when “Ghostbusters: Ecto Force” was announced? The one that even had Ivan Reitman attached?

5 Likes

Like most “reboots” (with BSG being a notable exception) the recent Ghostbusters reboot was pretty dire and a testament to how uncreative Hollywood is these days. And Ghostbusters II wasn’t that great either, so even if Ramis were alive I wouldn’t be that enthusiastic for another.

12 Likes

I love the original. I enjoyed the new one (loved a couple characters/performances).

Why not both?

11 Likes

Am I the only one who missed the “genius” of the Feig Ghostbusters? I tried watching it late last year, and was really disappointed. It felt like I was watching one of those SNL skits that go on just a bit too long. Then it would segue into another SNL skit that would go on just a bit too long…

What am I missing?

The movie did elicit a laugh with the “Irish-proof fence” line, but that was the (first and ) last time that any of the jokes really landed.

I for one am excited about this new Ghostbusters film, but know realistically that I will be ultimately disappointed, because we’ll basically get Stranger Things: Busters of 80’s Ghosts, or something else that tries to make up for its lack of creativity with an unhealthy dose of refried nostalgia.

17 Likes

From 2015

(http://ourvaluedcustomers.tumblr.com/post/182197012446/while-discussing-the-new-ghostbusters-movie)

19 Likes

I was hoping they would bring in characters from the most recent Ghostbusters into this new movie as that realty’s version of themselves. It’s disheartening to read that they are not likely to go in that direction. Hopefully they’ll make a course correction towards doing so.

1 Like

However, this week Jason Reitman – son of Ivan Reitman, who directed the first two Ghostbusters films – announced plans to helm “the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the Eighties happened in the Eighties, and this is set in the present day.”

Or here’s a thought…how 'bout you just come up with an original idea instead?

22 Likes

I’m still waiting for a sequel to Beetlejuice. . . .

Wait! That’s IT! The Ghostbusters crew VS. Beeteljuice, the craziest haunted spirit of them all!

18 Likes

Nothing. It’s pretty terrible.

13 Likes

“The Wiig/Jones/McCarthy/McKinnon film was genius!” Ummm no it was not. It was fun. It was a good effort.

The OG Ghostbusters movie was genius. GB II was just alright. The GB reboot was just alright. A few laughs but nothing that made me go “Oh hell yeah! You guys nailed it!”.

It would have been cool to integrate the original cast and new cast to blend them and acknowledge their coexistence. However it just felt like hollywood trying to capitalize on 80’s nostalgia…

However this teaser is quite pleasing.

6 Likes

Here’s a thought…

96c9f07a98e27233f9dbed71123b5fab8ba31aef

40 Likes

Maybe this the plot they created for the next movie.

2 Likes

According to Ernie Hudson, the remaining original cast is all in, and this movie has been announced as the actual Ghostbusters 3, an official follow-up to the other two.

The new “Answer the Call” movie made it clear (for reasons I never really understood) that it was happening in a universe where the original movies never happened, which would make bringing those characters together into a new Ghostbusters 3 really awkward.

I feel like the humor & characters of all of the Ghostbusters movies rely a lot on the actors’ built-in appeal. By that I mean that if you don’t like Bill Murray or Dan Ackroyd, the first movies aren’t going to have many laughs for you (as I’ve found when watching it with younger people). And when I watched the new one in a theater, half of the people there were losing their shit laughing every time Melissa McCarthy said anything while others were just nonplussed.

But Kate McKinnon was just amazing. I want more Holtzmann.

10 Likes

In a world… where two franchises collide…
“Don’t. Cross. The streams. It would be bad.”

Where your memories of an all-male cast have been shattered…
“There is no Dana. Only Zuul.”

One director will embark on a journey to save the past…
“Let’s show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown.”

A hero will rise… and a franchise will fall…
“We came! We saw! We kicked its ass!”

Coming Soon…
“Human sacrifice! Dogs and cats, living together! Mass hysteria!”

GHOSTBUSTERS 2020
The honeymoon’s over… it’s a boy’s trip, now…

1 Like

Two words - Ghost. Egon.

Ray: “Egon, you sound different.”

Egon: “I’m dead, Ray. Even having the strength to materialize as both a level 4 visual and a level 3 audible apparition is a monumental achievement.”

Peter: “Well, that sure sounds like Egon.”

36 Likes

So, more or less Ghostbusters 2 level?

2 Likes

Did he? Perhaps I’m missing something, but it seems his line was, “Everybody is in. Now whether the studio will do it, I’m the guy who sits by the phone and waits for the call. So if they call, I’ll answer. If not, I’ve got other stuff that I’m doing.”

I reckon anyone who purports to know what is going on in Bill Murray’s head at this point is engaging in wishful thinking.

I recall they made a complete mess of things with the first trailer in that regard.

Anyway, apparently the IDW comics have been doing quite the merry round of crossovers.

3 Likes