This second Ghostbusters trailer looks fantastic

[Read the post]

5 Likes

18 Likes

Haven’t watched it yet, but that’s what you said about the first one…

EDIT: Aaand I’m back.

Shockingly, I may have to agree with the youtube commenter(!)

A huge improvement over the last trailer, I rate this one a solid 2/10.

I still don’t get it. Is this a remake, a reboot or a sequel? It still looks like it’s just riffing off the original, badly. I have no doubt that, mediocre as this looks (and sounds), it’ll end up better than whatever Aykroyd was pitching, but I don’t think that would be hard. To me, it’s weird that they haven’t even rolled out even a hint of any of the cameos from the original. Guess they’re really, really small parts - 'cos even a token glimpse of Venkman would massively improve the goodwill for this film.

Wonder if this trailer will surpass the last one for downvotes?

5 Likes

No. No, it doesn´t.

3 Likes

If it’s so fantastic, then where are all of the mangenitals? ITS NOT GOSTBUSTERS IF IT HAS LADYPARTS!!!

15 Likes

i want to have kate mckinnon’s babies.

5 Likes

I’ve read various places it’s a reboot and not in the same universe as the original, which I personally find very disappointing. While I didn’t like Ghostbusters 2 by a long shot, I like how it addressed them as being washed up and disgraced. I don’t see why this new one wouldn’t use some backstory from the original: like, their predecessors are long gone – Egon is dead, Venkman is institutionalized, Zeddemore is running a PMC, SpenglerStantz moved to Canada – whatever, just some sort of acknowledgement of the original members – and Bad Shit is happening and a new generation needs to do something about it.

9 Likes

I think people are really being dicks about how great this movie has to be to get them to just admit that it’s decent.

Ghostbusters (the original) wasn’t fucking directed by David Lean or anything. It was a funny movie with special effects that were a big deal at the time. That’s it. There was not one groundbreaking thing about that movie other than possibly featuring prototypical hip-hop/rap in the theme.

It’s not some fucking sacred epic that dare not be touched with unclean hands.

It’s fair to be skeptical of any new product, but people are really being overcritical of this for some bullshit reasons. Like dogmatic adherence to traditionalism/nostalgia and a lot of misogyny coming from a lot of assholes. Fuck all that. If the movie sucks it will suck for reasons unrelated to gender or adherence to the original film. If it’s good it will be good because of the work of those who made it despite all of the rest.

32 Likes

it’s a Namequel.

14 Likes

I loathed the first trailer with all of my being, but I have to admit, this one looks a lot better. Not great, but at least it didn’t inspire immediate hatred. The effects still look like awful cartoony CGI garbage, and the jokes still aren’t funny, but at least they’re no longer anti-humor. I still like the actresses and their ghostbusting equipment, I just don’t have a lot of hope for the quality of everything else. I might actually give this one a shot if it gets overwhelmingly positive reviews.

1 Like

Egon and Spengler are the same person. I’m assuming you meant Ray Stantz. From what I heard, some of the actors from the original Ghostbusters will have cameos- but not as their characters. Seems like an odd choice, if true.

2 Likes

It seems to me that many attempts at legitimately criticizing whatever failings might be on display in these trailers are constantly being written off as women-bashing. Or maybe that just makes a good narrative for the media to run with – one that the studio is happy to encourage, as if, should all else fail, they will still be able to sell tickets on the grounds of “watch this movie or the misogynists will have won”, or something.

[quote=“ficuswhisperer, post:7, topic:78290”]While I didn’t like Ghostbusters 2 by a long shot, I like how it addressed them as being washed up and disgraced. I don’t see why this new one wouldn’t use some backstory from the original: like, their predecessors are long gone – Egon is dead, Venkman is institutionalized, Zeddemore is running a PMC, Spengler moved to Canada – whatever, just some sort of acknowledgement of the original members – and Bad Shit is happening and a new generation needs to do something about it.[/quote]It has been argued that Ghostbusters 2 did a pretty shabby job of it – for instance, that it seems unlikely the group would fall into such dire straits and that their previous heroics would be written off quite so easily.

3 Likes

i like it ok, i guess, but i just never understood why it needed to be rebooted/updated in the first place.

1 Like

They’re called “brandquels.”

This one looks like an enjoyable brandquel.

As enjoyable as anything without Bill Murray can be, anyway. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree. This trailer honestly doesn’t look any better or worse than, say, this one:

I wish they didn’t feel the need to stay so slavishly faithful to the animation aesthetics, and I certainly wish it were an original sequel rather than what will probably turn out to be a reboot/remake, but y’know… that’s our fault as audiences, for demanding “more of what I thought was cool when I was a kid” all the goddamned time.

5 Likes

Switching the gender of the main protagonists is a novelty, but not something that magically invalidates all criticism. Right now, the film looks like a typical uninspired, badly written Hollywood cash-in banking on the popularity of the original, the likes of which we see dozens of times each year. It will probably be mediocre like 95% of everything produced in Hollywood, but far from fantastic.
A remake using the original actors would very likely have turned out just as bad if not worse for what it´s worth.

6 Likes

I really didn’t like the way they went about it, though. Glowing spirits swarmed across and through New York City, the Ghostbusters took down a skyscraper-sized marshmallow monster in the middle of downtown while thousands of people watched in person and millions on live TV, and…now somehow they’re generally agreed to be charlatans? What?

Would’ve made a lot more sense if they’d just focused on, hey, with Gozer gone there’s not really a ghost problem in NYC anymore, so there’s no work for the guys.

5 Likes

OK–hahaha. You almost had me with the Angry Birds rave, but taken in context, its clear you’re just trolling us at this point.

Um …Right…?

Please God tell me I’m right?!!!

Boing Boing

http://boingboing.net/2016/03/03/the-new-ghostbusters-trailer-i.html

Everyone Else

‘Ghostbusters’ Remake the Most Disliked Trailer of All Time screencrush.com/ghostbusters-trailer-most-disliked-movie-trailer-in-history/Apr 29, 2016 - The new ‘Ghostbusters’ trailer has been disliked so many times, it is already the most disliked movie trailer …

Ghostbusters Trailer Is YouTube’s Most Disliked Movie Trailer | Indiewirewww.indiewire.com/.../ghostbusters-reboot-trailer-most-disliked-youtube-vi...IndiewireApr 30, 2016 - The “Ghostbusters” remake sneak peek is the most disliked movie trailer in the history of YouTube, sexist rage or reboot fatigue?

Why The Ghostbusters trailer is awful, and why you shouldn’t just .…moviepilot.com/posts/3807972Mar 3, 2016 - So, after months of feverish anticipation and, among the more hardcore Ghostbusters fans, severe worrying, the latest trailer for the female led …

Kevin Smith Ripped Apart The Ghostbusters Trailer - CINEMABLENDwww.cinemablend.com/.../Kevin-Smith-Ripped-Apart-Ghostbusters-Trailer-118087.h...The recent Ghostbusters trailer did the movie no favors as much of the comedy … I for one think it will be terrible, Leslie Jones had no funny lines, and it doesn’t …

5 Likes

Keep in mind, Jason’s liking the newly released second trailer, not the first one here.

4 Likes

I like them both. Why should I have to agree with anyone else?

18 Likes