This second Ghostbusters trailer looks fantastic

Harold Ramis, in particular, isn’t the actor he used to be.

4 Likes

Cameo in a movie about ghosts tho…

He was a neighbor in Santa Monica, where I grew up and a very nice person as far as I ever knew. They had good halloween candy.

7 Likes

This being a Ghostbusters movie, there´s a joke to be made here, but I won´t go there.

2 Likes

Yeah, but what I liked as a kid was good. Like Transformers: The Movie.

FWIW, I don’t doubt that the team behind this could make something good. They have a good track record (when I belatedly got around to it, I really enjoyed Spy) and I’m loath to judge films on trailers, but this is still meh. Maybe they’re keeping their powder dry?

I guess I just don’t really want a new Ghostbusters film at all (the fact that I’m actually watching the trailers suggests I’m not that interested, because I normally avoid them). But that’s okay, because I don’t have to watch it.

1 Like

Good point. But somebody’s gotta wear the Pedant Slippers around here, and strictly speaking, I didn’t see you defending the quality of the first trailer in this post.

But if you like it, you like it. Myself, I don’t really remember being offended by it, but it was months ago, so…

1 Like

Pretty much where I’m at. I remember that I liked it and looked forward to the movie. I rarely look forward to a movie these days.

4 Likes

I do want a new Land of the Lost movie, since the one we got was a hugely wasted opportunity.

They should have done a Battlestar Galactica style reboot instead and taken the concept a bit more seriously.

4 Likes

And judging from the trailer, it will work like Nyquil

2 Likes

Oh god, was that embarrassing. I had high hopes but TLOTL as a slapstick comedy was not for me.

3 Likes

That’s what I was referring to–his previous description of the first trailer as awesome and fantastic, much as he’s describing this one.

You are correct. Thanks for pointing out my typo.

I found it pretty believable, actually. Yes, they saved the day, but at a huge cost and much of what happened was their fault to begin with. Remember Walter Peck, aka dickless? Yeah, he was played as a meddling bureaucrat but in actuality he was 100% correct in what he was doing. The Ghostbusters were running around faffing about with particle accelerators on their back and storing supernatural beings in their basement with zero oversight or supervision.

After the events that occurred in the original movie I would imagine a huge investigation would occur and the Ghostbusters would consider themselves lucky that they weren’t all shipped off to Gitmo.

5 Likes

Some movies are greater than the sum of their parts, and gather a very dedicated fanbase. Ghostbusters is most definitely one of those movies, groundbreaking or not. Star Wars was groundbreaking, but not many people are Star Wars fans because the special effects were amazing in 1977. They’re fans because of the world the movie builds, the memories it creates, and of how enjoyable it is to watch. You can say “Star Wars is just a movie” and be technically correct, but in the real world, the person saying Star Wars is not some sacred epic is going to be seen as the weirdo, not the millions of dedicated fans. Same with Ghostbusters. Part of the reason this trailer has so many people up in arms is because they’re sick of having beloved classics remade or given long overdue sequels that are just ugly, low-quality cash grabs. (see the Star Wars prequels, Terminator sequels, Tim Burton’s Planet of the Apes, the Michael Bay TMNT, etc.) Expecting a remake to be as well-written and to look as good as the original isn’t the same as expecting it to be the same thing, it’s just having standards, which is something I wish people would do for all movies, remake or not.

That said, a huge amount of the hatred towards this movie is definitely straight-up misogyny, and they’re not even trying to hide it. MRAs have taken up these trailers like their own personal banner and it’s the most disgusting display since Gamergate. The rise of blatant, proud sexism and racism in the United States recently is extremely disturbing.

11 Likes

exactly. Good that they never tried to produce sequels for Matrix.

8 Likes

Also, I think the movie looks dumb but I love the rule 63 concept; I would love to see a rule 63 remake industry.

6 Likes

Definitely. Ghostbusters was one of those “everything fit perfectly into place” films. You had a great ensemble cast of SNL and SCTV actors who were in their prime doing their thing with a well written script and cutting edge special effects. It had a great mix of sci-fi and supernatural while being relatively family friendly.

Star Wars as you mention is definitely up there. It was following a long tradition of space opera films but somehow it managed to have the right mix of components along with dumb luck to make it hugely successful.

1 Like

They did a good enough job ruining the Matrix the first time around to ruin it again with a remake.

Much more promising, I like the looks of the ghosts!

But I still feel like it is a caricature of itself. But comedies are like that these days I guess, maybe I’m just too old to like things anymore?

As for female bashing… the studio really missed the mark and should have been ahead of this and put a feminist adviser on staff, and started hammering the “anti feminists don’t like our feminist movie” rhetoric before it got out of hand- aka Fury Road.

[quote=“Jorpho, post:12, topic:78290”]
it seems unlikely the group would fall into such dire straits and that their previous heroics would be written off quite so easily.
[/quote]You are hilarious.

September 11th, an event televised worldwide, has thousands of people who believe it was an inside job. Blood banks were turning people away on the 12th, now they’re at emergency levels. New York firefighters were given a heroes welcome, now people can barely move out of the way for them when they’re driving to fight a fire.

Ghostbusters basically happened in a localized New York at the time, you think some guy even up in Yonkers would give a damn about some problem they had on the Upper West Side about “ghosts”?

10 Likes

[quote=“vonbobo, post:37, topic:78290”]
Fury Road
[/quote]Fury Road had teh distinct advantage of having an amazing trailer.

1 Like

Wow. Now there’s an interesting angle for a sequel.

2 Likes