Why "traditional" wine is inherently bullshit

This is a very important yeast in sour beer production. For regular beer it’s a contaminant/flaw and an infection can crash an entire batch.

But in sours, mixed fermented farmhouse or wild fermented beers where it’s use is intentional, controlled and paired with other yeasts it brings a mild, less agressive tartness and a lot of funky savory flavor. It can be mushroomy or earthy. If you’ve ever had a Saison that’s a little be tart, that’s usually a bit of brett doing it’s thing.

Imported European wines are typically a lot cheaper at a given quality than my Local wines. And that holds for most US wines outside of bulk produced California wines. Land is expensive here and not much of the wine business has the economies of scale and regulatory support that exists elsewhere in the world.

I can get a damn good, affordable French or Italian wine here for less than $10. A locally produced wine in similar style and at the same quality will usually run over $30.

So which one is the pretentious one upsmanship?

6 Likes

Ending up with nothing to drink but Hartlepool moonshine is a perfect metaphor for Brexit.

6 Likes

From what you write the Gallo Tax was created because without it the Californians wouldn’t have stood a chance.

4 Likes

And what does Gallo make? Predominantly cheap bulk wine and brandy!

A little more pertinent is that most of the regulation on this front is handled at the State level.

So for example until 2005 or there abouts NY wineries were not allowed to export out of NY to other states or outside the US. And were heavily restricted in terms of what level they could distribute through 3rd parties.

The intent was to block large producers of low quality bulk wine (Like Gallo) from capturing the industry and foster Tourism. That worked but in the offing in created an industry that favored very expensive land in already desirable areas. That almost exclusively focused on high overhead tasting room business models that compete in the mercurial bar and restaurant scene.

It robbed critical economies of scale, ensured the reputation of the wines didn’t spread, ensured most jobs created were low paid, seasonal service jobs. And generally kept retail prices very high.

3 Likes

I don’t get it… The red wine is also feline, and the joke’s on me? :man_shrugging: OTOH the last part you quoted suggests the subjects knew their red wines.

(Really, I’m just having trouble reading it)

1 Like

Yeah. It’s usually referenced as a sign that oenophiles don’t know what they’re talking about. But the paper itself seems to be more about how color changes how a taster describes a particular taste.

3 Likes

There’s a Georgian restaurant in Palo Alto (if it’s survived COVID, anyway.) Only got there once or twice, and the wines were interesting.

Sparkling reds?
I thought Cold Duck was a sparkling red, not pink, but it’s probably been 40 years since I’ve had it?

1 Like

Are those the ones from the Abbey of Normel?

Will there be enough Buckfast to go around while we wait for the first barrels to ferment? They should bring back White Lightning just in case.

3 Likes

You think I am kidding?

1 Like

White lightning is a filthy remoaner elite’s drink. Good, honest British yeomanry will celebrate their freedom with Pulse or Omega, made from the very finest British onions and be glad about it.

4 Likes

Was going to say that I’ve had absolutely stunning US wines but they are absolutely special occasion. I can’t afford to drink American wines in general. With say, Spain, if there’s a style that needs aging you really do get incredible value. Whereas with a French wine you frequently struggle to get something sufficiently aged. Obviously I don’t think that this reflects the realities of the modern consumer.

That said I bought a couple of really properly old Loire chenin Blanc’s on sale a while back and that was the absolute shit.

2 Likes

I know my cousin in Dublin regularly takes road trips to Spain and France and fills the boot of his car with wine on the way back. You guys apparently have crazy high Alcohol taxes, and then there’s VAT on top of it.

That said the less than 10 bucks price point takes some looking. But your everyday, good imports are usually in the $15 range and you can find some crazy balls $15-20 if you know what to look for. There just aren’t many American wines other than bulk producers in that price point.

I think the most affordable locals that are worth drinking are sitting around $25 if you buy them right at the winery. So I can’t imagine what they run for once you layer tax, export costs and distribution on top.

2 Likes

Honestly the good US wines I’ve had have been in the €50-60 range which is way out of my league. For comparison a 10yr old Savenierres on sale (a nicely darkening robe with a bouquet of honey and flowers but dry as a bone with chocolatey mouth feel when properly decanted and not chilled) would be €20 on sale.

I can buy a nice rioja reserva with more than five years on it for my Saturday dinner for around a tenner. I used to buy a rasteau but that was before they had got AOC and were technically still a Rhone Villages. I don’t see them quite that cheap any more.

5 Likes

We used to have an import firm for a while. We got an offer of several containers of Italian wine at 2 euros a bottle. By the time we got it into the UK it would have cost us approximately 6-7 pounds (this was 20 years ago as well). Judging by flavour, I’d have paid maybe six for it in a supermarket. No room for profit at all unless you’ve got a serious budget.

4 Likes

Uhm NO! NAAAAY! not what this article was talking about. When you are talking about barnyard you are talking about horseshit… nuff said.

lk3iNO

2 Likes

Onions are French and forbidden. Brexiters will drink the finest turnip wiskie*.

* They were going to call it turnip whisky, but the Scots started putting woad on their faces and shouting about freedom, so they backed down while moaning about political correctness gone mad.

11 Likes

7 Likes

Wine is French too*. Post-Brexit Britain is only allowed English whine.

* I know, but I don’t make the rules. If I did Brexit wouldn’t exist.

10 Likes