"Why we can't read anymore"

I also. Only read. A third. Of this miserably written. Article. Because. The style. Irritated the shit out of me.

2 Likes

Read it in Captain Kirkā€™s voice! (Thatā€™s what I did with your post ^_^)

2 Likes

If weā€™re not reading, then who are these people with books on the bus?

4 Likes

Agree, this article was a clear cry for help from the author

2 Likes

It really reads like one of many modern complaints that people simply donā€™t know how to stop giving a shit about the digital world and frame it as if itā€™s common or a scientific problem.

ā€œIt turns out that digital devices and software are finely tuned to train us to pay attention to themā€ - tuned by whom? This gives it an agency that doesnā€™t exist. fMRIs showing ā€˜pleasure centresā€™ lighting up with activity doesnā€™t mean anything - it distributes both dopamine and serotonin and thereā€™s no way to tell from fMRI what itā€™s actually doing.

I donā€™t watch television. I donā€™t have twitter. I use facebook only for coordinating events and I live in a studio so if my computer wasnā€™t in my bedroom it would be outside in the hallway. I still donā€™t read a lot of books, and the reason isnā€™t because Iā€™m hopelessly addicted to distraction by shiny toys but because I donā€™t have a forty minute commute on the bus/train anymore and itā€™s really hard to hold and read a book while Iā€™m cooking or cleaning or practising my craft.

Itā€™s not about machines calibrated to dope us into stupefaction for ~reasons~. Itā€™s about priorities not necessarily allowing for sitting in one place for 20-60 minutes concentrating on a book. If facebook and email and twitter are stopping you doing that then the issue isnā€™t facebook and email and twitter or sinister biomechanical processes they cause. Itā€™s your priorities.

3 Likes

Amen! Record numbers of people are getting rid of their televisions, and a lot of them are also turning their backs on social media.

If thereā€™s a boing boing comment thread that Randall Munroe doesnā€™t have a relevant comic for, Iā€™ve yet to come across it:

(edited for typo)

6 Likes

I find that I read even more than I did before because no matter where I am, I always have kindle available on my phone.

I find myself reading more than I used to, but unsurprisingly, in shorter chunks. Yup, not as many books. And, am I really the first person here to point out that Holy Guy in the painting has two left hands?

1 Like

Breaking News: New medium for reading gains following, some people substitute some of their reading time to new medium. Film at 11!

Geez. For the first time since the widespread adoption of radio, the literate west is spending more time engaged with text than with audio or audio-visual media, and this author is complaining that weā€™re spending it on shorter forms. Well, somebody whoā€™s been engaging mostly with book-length documents might find it shocking to transfer over to article-length documents, but someone whose reading material was previously limited to the newspaper will not (and instead find it interesting that ā€“ gee! ā€“ theyā€™re reading thirty or forty times what they used to read, at an average higher quality of content because of how easy fact checking has gotten in the past thirty years).

(I do read fewer books now that Iā€™m reading all day at work. When I want to read a book, I turn off my monitor for the day and read; itā€™s very effective. That said, I donā€™t use social media while at work, I donā€™t use it on my phone, and I keep phone notifications off ā€“ so most of the dopamine triggers donā€™t affect me. Doing that doesnā€™t take any particular effort or self-control ā€“ just change the settings.)

1 Like

I donā€™t think this is about text vs. voice, but about focus vs. lack of focus.

I have been having more trouble focusing, though I donā€™t know if it is personal or is more widespread.

Iā€™m not really convinced.

I read 900+ page books on-screen way more often than I do on the printed page. Iā€™m not convinced that Iā€™m the only one.

There are definitely media outlets that specialize in shorter, shallower content. Some of them are doing quite well. There are other media outlets that specialize in longer, more in-depth content; some of those are doing quite well. A couple organizations are doing a really good job with both forms simultaneously (Buzzfeed, Cracked, Vice ā€“ all purveyors of remarkably good journalism these days). Iā€™m sure that some people are transitioning to shorter-form media who are used to longer-form media; that said, the short-form boom peaked several years ago and weā€™re starting to see a lot more emphasis on long-form, which probably indicates that more people are focusing on longer-form content lately.

One very clear change in terms of journalism & media lately is formalism ā€“ and I think this is more widespread and more interesting than the length issue. The best written journalism these days is coming out of organizations that are essentially joke sites (Buzzfeed only fairly recently started pumping out the good journalism, but Cracked has been the home of dick-jokes-with-footnotes ever since Oā€™Brien took over), mirroring the general trends in television journalism (you know, with the best journalism and fact-checking coming out of Daily Show alumni).

The internet changes how media is consumed. But, it changes how media is consumed in very complex ways. Widespread access to high-quality streaming video has simultaneously created a market for extremely short media (youtube shows that average out at 9 minutes; 15 second films) that couldnā€™t fit into the schedule of a TV channel or a feature film and also long-running, densely-packed serial shows (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, House of Cards) that are best consumed in marathon viewing ā€“ it turns out that there was a big market for video that doesnā€™t correspond to existing notions about ideal length, in the same way that LPs made it possible for prog rockers to make the longer-than-three-minute songs they always wanted. Long before that, the internet made it feasible to distribute extremely long documents with a limited audience ā€“ books that would never be printed because the paper would be too expensive, but that now can be distributed for free to anybody who wants to read a six thousand page fanfiction about what would happen if Captain Kirk was a genderbent space hippo; then, ten years later, we got the world wide web, and that encouraged the distribution of extremely short snippets of text densely linked to other extremely short snippets of text in such a way that context can become a part of the content.

I really donā€™t think that a lack of sustained focus is a modern or recent thing. (To be fair, though ā€“ shut off notifications, because notifications can and will cause you to lose focus.) The difference is that it used to take a lot of focus to complain about your lack of focus in a way that reached ten thousand people. Now, all you need to do is write about it and post it somewhere and you have a non-zero likelihood of reaching that scale of audience. (In other words, ADHD is no longer invisible, but some people misinterpret greater visibility for greater prevalence.)

1 Like

ā€œHigh Qualityā€ is a damn lie.

Speak for yourself while I start my third book this week tomorrow.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.