Why we need a new operating system for work

You already have.

10 Likes

Zion, hear me! It is true, what many of you have heard. The machines have gathered an army and as I speak, that army is drawing nearer to our home.

But this new operating system for coordinating human activities and creating new kinds of value could also be riddled with catastrophic bugs, pushing large swaths of the population to labor at subsistence levels, with no benefits and little predictability over their earning streams.

From what I understand, these are features of capitalism, not bugs.

9 Likes

An OS to democratically share goods and services?

Isn’t that a Libreoffice spreadsheet with farmers’ contact info, subcribers’ orders and the delivery truck volunteer rotation?

3 Likes

The GOP calls that “communism” today.

8 Likes

I think that may need to be more than just rephrased. Who are you regulating and who are they organizing to deal with? If you sell something on ebay, that doesn’t make you a retail worker employee where someone at ebay is your boss.

If you make a living off of a combination of selling stuff on multiple online marketplaces, running errands, doing tasks for people, getting fees through patreon-like sites and kickstarter-like sites and donations elsewhere, selling your music on bandcamp, renting out your spare room, and sometimes driving people around, who is this employer that you want to regulate and organize and deal with?

I was quite disappointed that the article was not about an alternative to Windows and Linux.

Because I was already to remind everybody of TempleOS.

It seems a poor, over-extended metaphor, riddled with bugs and prone to crashing when the metaphor is queried too often in a given time-frame.

5 Likes

Efficiency is also subject to the environment in which it’s measured (natural, technological, social, economic, regulatory, etc).

In a country with X subsidies, Y prohibitions, Z infrastructure, V population, T environment, then N will be more efficient for goal A

Daaksyde: You have just described “self-employment” and “freelancing,” both of which I spent the last half of my working life doing. Though the second paragraph has also been called “scuffling.” Or, more often, “hand to mouth.” (We oldsters were quite capable of analyzing the world of work and providing descriptive terms long before hipsters decided to rebrand the world via a bunch of half-thought-out IT metaphors.)

2 Likes

I wasn’t assuming that, except for in the broadest sense that employment is something people can critique and change in deliberate ways. Most of the criticism I get is that this is not the case, regardless of the specifics.

This assumes that changing this environment isn’t one of your goals! Then what would be most efficient for goal A might not be relevant, or worse, directly problematic.

When I said “also” I meant in addition to goals

:slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.