Why were people thinner in the 1970s?

There’s strong evidence that viral infections play a role in obesity. There’s evidence that almost 90% of obese people have a particular viral infection (about a third or less of the non-obese population has it). Correlation isn’t causation, but animal studies show that infection with the virus causes obesity and in-vitro experiments show it causes fat cells to multiply.
So there’s probably a lot of different causes for obesity, and some of them aren’t controllable.

5 Likes

Dammit; that was my snarky reply.

7 Likes

Works for runway models

1 Like

You don’t eat olives by themselves?

Same here, the standard activity was riding bikes, playing kickball in the street, hide and seek (sometimes with water guns), or smear the queer. And yeah, not only did we call it that, it was a popular, organized sport in the school my dad taught at. I think these days it’s called things like Maul Ball or Kill the Guy with the Ball.

3 Likes

EDIT: There’s a thread to discuss Smear The Queer over here and it’s been pointed out to me that my experience of the game was filtered by my age and locality - your experience may well have differed, which you can discuss in the other thread. END EDIT

The game was invented when “queer” meant “odd” or “strange”, not homosexual.

When the meaning of the word changed, the name of the game changed, because American children didn’t want to be labeled queer. So, yah, there’s homophobia involved, just not in the most obvious way.

9 Likes

I wonder whether they got their conclusion by comparing levels of ORGANIZED Activities. Because levels of unorganized (self-organized, really) activity seemed higher back in the day.

9 Likes

I do. Love 'em.

They are often an appetizer at Greek or Italian places. Olives in a dish with sometimes a bit of feta.

8 Likes

You don’t eat grapes or drink wine? Grapeseed oil is pretty popular, especially in restaurants, since it’s so neutral-flavored and has a high smoke point.

That’s what’s really interesting to me — I feel like kids had way more access to sugary fatty foods in the 70s than now. Seems like every single kid at lunch had PB&J sandwiches, one of those bright-red ‘fruit drink’ plastic jugs that’s pure sugar water, and a Hostess fruit pie or snack cake for desert. If you didn’t have real butter on everything at home, you had good ol’ trans-fatty margarine. The diet cola trend hadn’t taken off, and things like salads or grilled chicken sandwiches at fast food places didn’t exist. Yet the obesity trend didn’t seem to really accelerate until we got “healthy” in the late 70s and into the 80s.

5 Likes

MORE SUGAR! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcVEDyro2sE

I eat grapes, but I avoid the seeds. Also, grapes aren’t oily.

1 Like

In the early 70’s if you were eating sugar, it was most likely cane sugar. Now it’s most likely high-fructose corn syrup, and as it’s a dandy, cheap preservative, it’s added to everything. Bread, canned soup, yogurt, everything. Quite difficult to avoid it, unless you do a level of from-scratch cooking that’s rarely seen these days.

8 Likes

Nice correlation Wazroth. Something horribly unholy is represented here in these graphs. Also, 1980 was when Raygun was elected. I would roughly say, the mid 70’s was the turning point and the election of RunnyRaygun was the beginning of the end.

3 Likes

It’s pretty easy to avoid if you eat meals with single food ingredients. Nothing processed or prepackaged. It’s more of a mind over food than anything else.

2 Likes

Sure, and mostly I do manage it, but I’m self employed and work from home and don’t have a bunch of kids who are squalling for lunchables or chicken nuggets like all their friends eat.
My mother cooked like that, in the early 70’s. Then she died, and my poor father switched all of us to heat-and-eat convenience foods because he didn’t have the know how or time. We all inflated like balloons instantly.

5 Likes

Love me some olives. One of the first things i look forward to when i go on holiday is that first cold beer and a side plate of olives. That’s when i know i’ve arrived :sunglasses:

Also, try as i might, i can never find olives at home that we get on holiday (home being england, holiday being mainland europe). I guess that’s part of their charm.

1 Like

I get what you’re saying now. You’re expressing amazement that some people don’t eat olives by themselves.

Yeah, it’s not common in the US except in authentic mainland European restos. And the Americanized Greek and Italian places are far more numerous (at least where I live) than the ones which resemble the food I’ve had in mainland Europe.

5 Likes

yeah we’ve seen cultural moves away from letting our kids disapear on bikes into the neighborhood for 8 hours at a streatch.

Theres also been a concurrent ecconomic shift away from blue collar and physical work and towards white collar and service jobs.

Theres more going on here than just junk food, much of which dates to the 50s or 70s. And the healthfood and low fat crazes most recently see their origins in the 70s.

5 Likes

Thank you, but how was it played? I’ve never heard of such a thing. Sorry for going off-topic but I’m intrigued.

3 Likes